Seeking advice on grow setup

Mang Kanor

So basically I have read lots of guides and asked on various people in regards to growing (planning to grow 3 plants max). I am now torn if I should consider buying a $200 dollar grow tent (.8m x .8m x 1.6m) or making/buying a cabinet for just less than $100. I'll be covering the insides of the cabinet with thermal blankets(as per reading they are made with mylar) and be adding holes for the ventilation system. Portability isn't my concern since my grow place wouldn't be a place where I need to take down my tent/cabinet. I am not sure if the temperature would be the same with both setups(same ventilation with the cabinet and tent).

Another concern is the heat. Temperature ranges from 28C-32C here. I am not sure if fans inside the tent, good intake and exhaust fan would lower the temperature to a favorable condition for the plant(20C-25C). I am considering C02 bags and opening the lights only at night so it wouldn't roast the plants. Still it might be above the preferable temperature at noon time.

Also I am confused regarding the heat produced by lighting. I am considering CFLs since as per one guide I have read that it's good for beginners and produces less heat ( also cheaper and easier to get where I am at) but have read another guide where it says it will produce the same with HPS. Therefore lighting might also be an issue for me since it will increase the temperature (Which is already high in the first place).

I am not considering AC since the room I would put my grow tent/cabinet is small(probably will contribute more with the temperature increasing) and the room is not fully closed(there are screens on the upper portion of the walls). Humidifiers is an automatic mold issue in the room probably. I am still not sure if going for LED lighting (if CFLs will cause same heat with HPS) as well since its expensive here (saw an apollo advanced 400w, it costs $430 here).

Any opinion would help, I am really having an urge to grow since June. So I am planning a fool proof setup since I need to be stealthy in this dream of mine.

CFLs will heat a space up quick if your exhaust system is lacking. They will grow some pretty nice buds they just are a little more airy than leds and definitely HPS/MH. My Opinion. Building a box is cool if you are handy and its a good place to start. I love the tents tho. Also, just my opinion. just really convenient. You need to customize to what you need and can afford to obtain your goal. You will grow nice nugs with cfl. You will grow slightly (or significantly depending on skill) better nugs with hids or leds. They all make kick ass smoke tho.
Exhaust is important and shouldnt be skimped on too badly. Get a good fan for exhaust at least. Passive intake can be good enough for cfls. Just have to figure out a way to keep light out for flower. You want exhaust on all the time for air movement.
Ive used cfls, leds and hids in diy boxes and a tent. Leds are (only my opinion again) the best choice for smaller personal areas. I just keep upgrading what i can when i can. There are a lot of good diy box grows on here. Read a bunch if you havent already. You can find all the pitfalls to expect before they happen to you.
Good luck

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

CFLs will heat a space up quick if your exhaust system is lacking. They will grow some pretty nice buds they just are a little more airy than leds and definitely HPS/MH. My Opinion. Building a box is cool if you are handy and its a good place to start. I love the tents tho. Also, just my opinion. just really convenient. You need to customize to what you need and can afford to obtain your goal. You will grow nice nugs with cfl. You will grow slightly (or significantly depending on skill) better nugs with hids or leds. They all make kick ass smoke tho.
Exhaust is important and shouldnt be skimped on too badly. Get a good fan for exhaust at least. Passive intake can be good enough for cfls. Just have to figure out a way to keep light out for flower. You want exhaust on all the time for air movement.
Ive used cfls, leds and hids in diy boxes and a tent. Leds are (only my opinion again) the best choice for smaller personal areas. I just keep upgrading what i can when i can. There are a lot of good diy box grows on here. Read a bunch if you havent already. You can find all the pitfalls to expect before they happen to you.
Good luck

Thanks for the response. The only reason I'm resorting to CFLs is that LEDs are expensive here. Any chance I can do a DIY Normal LED Bulb light(Saw some on youtube but not sure if they will work perfectly, Others suggest red and blue but I think the regular LED would be ok)? I have just googled that 16-20W LED bulbs are equivalent to 100w.

Also ventilation is my priority research for now. I can definitely buy a decent fan for the air circulation inside the cabinet. However still looking for a good exhaust since all I have seen at stores are crappy bathroom extractors.

I have read a bunch and these factors are the only things I believe I need clarifications. After this time to buy and setup :)

Can't help on the diy leds. Sorry. You definitely can get some nice smoke with cfls tho.
For my first grow i used to pc fans pulling air out of my box and 2 pulling air in. That with a 4 inch desk fan blowing across the ballasts of the cfl bulbs was enough to keep my area at a reasonable temp. As soon as i could tho i got a 6 inch duct fan from an online retailer. Think it cost me $25 or so. Next step up is a higher power turbine style fan. Evrytime i get a little "extra" money i get what i can. And every time my grow is a little better.

Can't help on the diy leds. Sorry. You definitely can get some nice smoke with cfls tho.
For my first grow i used to pc fans pulling air out of my box and 2 pulling air in. That with a 4 inch desk fan blowing across the ballasts of the cfl bulbs was enough to keep my area at a reasonable temp. As soon as i could tho i got a 6 inch duct fan from an online retailer. Think it cost me $25 or so. Next step up is a higher power turbine style fan. Evrytime i get a little "extra" money i get what i can. And every time my grow is a little better.

It's alright. I'm already inclined to do CFLs anyway unless I can do the same with LED. . All I need now is proper ventilation(considering buying online) I believe the 28-32 C temperature wouldnt be an issue since I will be investing in a Co2 bag and a good desk fan to cool the area.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom