Sexing times, soil + hydro grows

Is it true that pistils show later on a hydro grow and quicker on soil? This is what appears to be happening to me now with the clones I have always had. First time to try hydro. Thx in advance

Pre-flowering timing is not determined by the growing method, it's by the light schedule and genetics. Some strain show sex much later, while others show much sooner. If you got some grow room you can test out the theory. It should show sex at the same time using the same clone from one mother plant. If one clone show sex later it could be that that clone was stressed during transplanting from rooting to grow medium. Having healthy clone will show sex within 2 weeks after the flip.

Is it true that pistils show later on a hydro grow and quicker on soil?

No. Pistils appear on pre-flowers when the plant is mature, before one ever cuts the lights back to a flowering cycle (assuming you grow them until they are actually mature first). And since growth is often - but not always, of course - quicker in hydroponics, I would expect that the opposite would be true.

If growth rates during the vegetative phase are the same, you would see the first pistils at basically the same time.

If neither of the above is the case, look for problems with your grow. (Assuming the plants are from the same mother, same age, et cetera of course.)

The factors to sexing are genetics and thigmotropism. I am in the process of writing a article about Thigmotropism at the moment and I suggest you look for it within the next day or two, in reality I recommend everyone on the forums to read it once I am done.

*Environmental conditions are the number one factor, soil - hydro has no play. Plants do not even require soil for growth. I see lots of picture uploads of fans facing plants and people "Touching" leaves and stems, light has absolutely MINIMAL "and I cant stress that enough" play in sexing besides if your under the minimum 12/12 ~ I.E. trying to kill your plant!

Back
Top Bottom