Shame On You, Cops: It's A Marijuana Protest

In nearly every major city on May 2 (over 300 cities worldwide) peaceful demonstrators congregated to protest marijuana laws. Local police across the country participated to ensure an orderly March, and for that they should be congratulated. However, there was an attitude among Calgary officers. The parade felt more like a show of police force, intrusive intelligence gathering, and an opportunity to make arrests, rather than civic duty for an orderly parade.

Multiple officers were armed with a variety of surveillance equipment, including high definition cameras capable of interfacing with face recognition software, in addition to video surveillance. Unlike many protests across Canada users were targeted by Police where confiscations, and presumably arrests took place. In Toronto there were 32 officers for over 5,000 people in the parade, in contrast Calgary's turnout of around 750 and the number of officers per capita here far exceeded that of Toronto. Many of these officers harassed protesters staring them down and projected an air of intimidation and menace, with the police helicopter needlessly circling overhead every 10 to 15 minutes.

As a citizen I am outraged by the officers' outlandish and confrontational attitude towards a peaceful and generally cooperative protest.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Fast Forward Weekly
Author: Reginald Caruthers
Copyright: 2009 Fast Forward Weekly

I sadly did not participate in the event, but the attitude displayed by my cities police force is very wrong. No other city had to put up with harassment from the police. Every other city understood that it was a peaceful protest, not Calgary it seems. This city keeps getting worse and worse when it comes to the quality of life.

I was born and raised in Calgary and there are a million other places that I would rather live.
I moved away a long time ago and have never looked back.
The thing about the cops is that for all their cockiness and bluster, they are ineffective and bumbling in their fervor.
Trouble is they take out their frustrations for their failures by bullying us.

Back
Top Bottom