Silver Haze: Which version?

The giggliest strain of MJ I've ever smoked was labelled Silver Haze. This was pot I bought from a dealer that sold some decent outdoor. Obviously, I don't know who the breeder was or if it really was Silver Haze. Anyway, I would like to grow this strain to see if I can capture that high again.

I use Bonza for my seeds. There are 2 breeders who list Silver Haze in their lineup. Vision Seeds and Sensi Seeds. Here is what the breeders have to say about their version of SH:

Vision Seeds

Silver Haze is a true Indica-Sativa hybrid that is stunningly high strength!

Famous throughout Dutch coffeeshops for many years, Silver Haze really is a premium strain!

Our Haze, a strong pure Sativa, we crossed with the high-potency Indica strains Northern Lights and Skunk, Indica dominance here was reduced by back-breeding the strain.

The Indica influence keeps Silver Haze shorter in height and yet at the same time increasing the size and density of its buds.

Silver Haze is a smooth, silky smoke with an intense cerebral and giggly/happy Sativa high.

If you have never added Silver Haze to your collection, then you should, you won't regret it!

Silver Haze has an amazing strong spicy smell combined with a pine Haze, fruity aroma and full-bodied Haze flavor.

Sensi Seeds

The first Haze ranks as a vintage masterpiece of cannabis breeding, a harmonious blend of complementary equatorial genotypes which is widely regarded as the purest and most powerful Sativa ever created. Sensi´s original, award-winning Silver Haze seed strain distilled the sunny cerebral magic of her towering parent into a manageable hybrid with great indoor potential.

Now, as a result of the program to breed a reliable, rewarding and 'Hazier´ feminised version of the strain, Sensi Seeds makes Silver Haze #9 available to the public for the first time!

Sensi´s first Silver Haze seed-strain helped bring the psychedelic Sativa indoors; her excellent performance under lights (along with Northern Lights #5 x Haze) is one of the major reasons Haze strains are still sought-after by today´s growers.

Haze is seen as a fundamental cannabis variety and has a dedicated worldwide following, and some growers now seek a strain with as many of the original Haze qualities as possible, including the unique structure of the first examples.

Silver Haze #9 is a superb all-female strain that has been back-crossed to the original Haze parent stock over several generations.

Plants are tall and productive, with fabulous resin production and long, flowing buds that fill her stem and branches. Flower-formation is open, though not 'airy´ - the fat calyxes that make up each bud give a good yield even from the classic Haze structure.

As an almost-pure Sativa, Silver Haze #9 can vegetate and bloom simultaneously in a flowering light-cycle. Due to her height gain, she can be put into 12/12 very soon after germination and seedlings will have no trouble exceeding 1m when flowered at 10-15cm.

This powerful growth can also be utilised to grow full-sized plants in close proximity (due to Haze´s tall, narrow tendency), or to grow impressive 'ScrOG´ plants. This strain also responds well to bending, training and 'super-cropping´.

Needless to say, the most desirable aspect of the Haze family - the powerful, sensual cerebral high - has been reinforced and inbred in Sensi Silver Haze #9!

The Sensi version is more expensive, and I doubt a commercial outdoor grower would be investing in the best genetics. So it is likely they went with one of the cheaper options.

Has anyone ever grown anything from Vision? What are their genetics like?

Taking everything I've said into consideration, which version would you opt for?

Thanks!

I don't doubt that sensi is closer to the original, but I'm trying to capture the giggly, slightly psychedelic high I experienced.

Is Vision Seeds crap, or are they more like Nirvana who has decent genetics at a cheaper rate?

Actually, Vision's version is a copy of "Super Silver Haze," which has Skunk#1 and Northern Lights in it.

Sensi uses an original haze and an "Unknown Indica"

I don't think any seedbank that has been doing business for a long time is "Crap", some of the best cannabis in the world essentially comes from bagseed.

I just think that Sensi is a safer bet, genetically speaking.

How the cannabis comes out in the end depends a lot on other factors.

hmmm... you've given me something to think about. Thanks bud

Blaze , I know the feeling you are searching for. I'm not sure it exists anymore. Most of my smoker friends are moaning about the same thing. I'm not sure if it is something that happens to us as we age, or if cannabis has been GMO'd and crossbread to the point of mediocrity. The search continues. :)

If only I could chat to the grower, but that will never happen. I think from now on I will include one sativa dominant strain in every grow, until I find something that fits the bill.

My next grow starting in Jan will include Chocolopez from Blimburn. I got 2 free seeds a while back so might as well start there.

This drives me crazy.
On named seed from one grower can be drastically different from another grower's same named seed.
It's a mess. I wish the industry would find some way to create some standards.
I was recently reviewing Durban strains. Crazy.
It's kind of like traveling to a far away land and visiting the local market. Confusion can reign.
Done preaching... sorry.

The explosion of the industry. Lots of good has come from it, and some not so good. The future of cannabis could be a homogeneous blend if we aren't careful. I wish seed banks carried more landrace strains instead of so many hybrids. But I'll take what they offer and enjoy it. I don't have enough years left going round ol sol too worry about it. :)

I hear you tead. I always do plenty of research before parting with my money. Even then, it's a bit of crap shoot.

That is why I generally tend to stick to guys like DNA. I'm not saying they are above copying strains, but the stuff I've had from them is always good. It just limits your choices a bit. Maybe I should visit their site again and see if I can find a strain there that will suit me.

By the way, tell us what you learned of the Durban strains Tead. I've got a few Durban Poison seeds from Dutch Passion.

Conradino tipped me of to the Seeds of Africa line. They have a Durban Magic I plan on sampling in the near future.

"
Durban Magic is an indigenous strain found all over Durbans countryside.

Its strongs fruity flavor is represented by its various shades of green,orange and purple resinous buds.

A long lasting, uplifting high with a strong sense of clarity.

The tight, dense buds almost give an indica-type impression, with a wholesome thai flavour.

The long and slender genetics of the plant makes it a great strain for cross pollination"

Don't really care much about the words except that they point to this strain being from local sources rather than magical mixes. Not sure I'd term it a "Landrace" strain... but perhaps.
Durban Poison is know for it's heat tolerance and mold resistance... both issues that are very important in my garden.

I'm South African, but have never heard of Durban Magic. I suppose that doesn't really mean anything though.

Are you going to start a grow journal? Would be keen to see them perform. Will do some reading up on it now.

Blaze , I know the feeling you are searching for. I'm not sure it exists anymore. Most of my smoker friends are moaning about the same thing. I'm not sure if it is something that happens to us as we age, or if cannabis has been GMO'd and crossbread to the point of mediocrity. The search continues. :)
I think is more to do with tolerance. I didn't get that feeling since I was a kid. But then I stopped smoking cannabis for years and I had one puff of blue dream with my older brother who is 45 who also doesn't smoke and we giggled our asses off for ages

Back
Top Bottom