Skylight that opens in cold climate - do I need exhaust?

hoopgang

I have a question about cooling and exhaust issues.

I am hoping to start indoor in my loft, which is only about 6-7' tall with a small skylight that opens up to allow air out. I have a 600W HPS and MH with aluminum reflector (without the hole for a fan). The loft is decently large and open without doors so it won't be too stuffy. I have the option of closing off 2 entrances, one which leads to the entire 2nd floor landing and another which leads to a medium sized room with 16' ceilings.

I also have a 16'' standing fan (pretty powerful) that can rotate and could potentially be hooked up to a timer.

I am wondering if I still need to do something with exhaust since I'm in a climate where it snows a lot and will be starting end of summer. since heat rises, I should be able to leave the skylight window open a bit and not have to hook up tubing from the reflector to outside right? (I could easily put the reflector directly below the window). I am a bit worried that having the window open in winter would mess up the humidity though.

Re: skylight that opens in cold clim., do I need exhaust?

That is something you will have to watch, but I suspect that it should be enough. Now where I live it gets 55 below F and humidity is very low in the winter time. I think it doesn't matter if the window is open or not, with that space, you will need to get a humidifier. If it was an enclosed, smaller sopace you could get away with a tub of water until the plants were big enough to provide their own humidity. Humidity is very important for these plant's, so don't skimp on it, especially in your climate.

Back
Top Bottom