Slow bud development

OldSkoool

On my last grow I was fortunate to produce a very heavy, trich covered bud producer from unknown 'quality' seeds. Even though there were no males in my grow space, this female produced a few seeds on her own. I didn't have much hope for any of them germinating, but I was surprised to have three sprout, with two females making it to flower stage.

Since my set up is limited to a single plant, I'm letting a friend finish the other plant with exactly the same lighting/watering schedule/nutes/etc. set up as my own. Tomorrow marks the fourth week since 12/12 for both plants. The plant I'm growing looks exactly like the host plant as far as structure, but the plant my friend is finishing looks totally different, fewer stems, and leaves.

The buds on my friends plant have the same trich covered buds as the host plant at this stage, but the buds on the plant I'm flowering are much slower in developing, even though the plant is covered in buds, I don't see the same heavy trich covered leaves/buds as the host plant.

Since the plants are sativa, I'm curious if some of you other growers who've had experience with 2nd, and 3rd generation plants can shed some light on what I'm seeing, and if I can expect the slower developing plant to produce a worthwhile crop.

Thanks for taking the time to view my situation, even if your in the dark as I am. I can post photos if you think it would help.

Btw, all things are equal as far as this current grow as compared to the host plant.

you are experiencing having different phenotypes.....you will find that they have differences in flowering time,taste, height etc.
I would also reckon that the reason you got the seeds was that the plant polenated itself out of survival. thats not a bad thing at all.
or it could have been rogue pollen from another source..you would know better

Phenotype - Wikipedia

Good hearing from ya Pit, thanks for responding. I knew someone would be out there that knew the science. She self pollinated I'm quite sure, in fact I found one pollen sac, but I couldn't find any more.....obviously I missed one, or two. But out of the three oz she produced, I only found 7 seeds. Lucky for me that she did reproduce....she was kick ass.

Two things have come to mind that are different from the host plant.

The current plant is in a 7gal pot, the host plant was in a 4 gal pot.

My eight 42W CFL's have two grows on them, and four of the bulbs have three grows. Wondering if it could be lumen loss, but the plant is healthy, lush, and growing strong.

Think your right...damn genetics....and why the other plant looks adopted.

Thanks 4 the info my buds came late also 3rd week of August an im from warm southren pa..I realize tying the plant on a 45* angle it explodes bigger..But this 1 is late and smaller than my other plant, only 2' ..Now is there anything i can do to Maxamize my buds???

My eight 42W CFL's have two grows on them, and four of the bulbs have three grows. Wondering if it could be lumen loss, but the plant is healthy, lush, and growing strong.

Almost certainly. Replacing all of your bulbs with new ones NOW would give you more gross light than if you do not. It will also not add to your electric bill.

Of course, that may or may not be the problem here, as PitViper mentioned, you might have a different phenotype than your friend (although they should be "pretty close" if they came from a selfed female and not from stray pollen from another plant either within your grow or carried in on your person. (You might wish to clone both plants and keep the one that comes from the plant that you enjoy the most after harvest time.)

But fresh lights will help your end results regardless.

Back
Top Bottom