Smart Pots

onthe420train

I just ordered about 30 two gallon smart pots for my ebb and flow table. They should be here next week and I will give a little more info and some pics.

Just so you know these are smart pots #2 - two gallons a piece. The idea behind smart pots is that a breathable fabric allow much more oxygen to get to the root ball from all sides which allows the root ball to grow larger and thicker and thus yielding bigger heartier plants.

Well, I'm pretty sold on it, plus they would work perfectly in my Ebb and Flow table.

I'll be using a combination of soil-less, perlite, and coco in my pots, and probably filling them up 3/4 of the way... The girls are dying to be transplanted so these pots can not get here quick enough for me.

I have heard great things about em. The air to the root ball is cool but I really like the fact that the roots air prune themselves cutting done on being root bound. Slick idea!

Oh when roots hit air they prune themselves. More or less die because of the harsh environment dry air. That's why we don't we don't see roots growing in air, or up and away from the ground. So in the smart pot when the roots get to the sides they "prune" themselves and die at the tip and grow out the branching in the roots.

Yep then they grow in another direction until they hit the side again. It's really a good way to keep moms in and just overall good root health for all plants. With smart pots there supposed to do away with "circle roots". Hopefully you rock some reports when its time. I plan on using em outside this summer.

Awesome, yea that sounds like pretty good deal. I've seen pics of smart pots with roots growing out of the bottom - especially larger ones that sit in one spot. I wouldn't be surprised it that happened to me.

pretty much as soon as they arrive coco and plants (currently in 2.4 Litre pots!) will be goin in and that should be next week.

Back
Top Bottom