Social Security Blues

Happy Kitty

Due to an my health problems, I went on state disability, which ran out in April. Since then, I have been going through the social security revolving door.

I got my second denial today!! Arg! According to them, a job I worked ten years ago is a job that I can do now. What the hell?

That job entailed standing most of the day with a knife in my hand. Carrying glass and using large cutting blades. What the hell?

I have an epilepsy condition, they have to be crazy. I will get a pitance if I ever get SS, but they say I can do SOMETHING to make that much money.
I can't even drive anymore, so jeezus...

So today I did some checking. The information I have is that they didn't even contact my neurologist. Who did they think they needed to talk to? my eye doctor? Fortunately, my neurologist called today and said that he would write a letter to include in the appeal.

So back I go on the merry-go-round. It will be another 90 days before I will hear back. In the mean time, I asked what I should do, they told me to go on welfare. Never! I'm going to start up my old business to make some side money. I'm not up to it, but what can ya do?

I think it's just a damn shame that so many with so much knowledge, can't get past the idea that "you don't look sick". Because I can articulate I should be denied. One of the SS employees told me to act stupid and wear crappy clothes. It shouldn't be that way.

I'm not sure if I want to keep up the battle with the SS. It's not that much money, and its just degrading.

Ok, sorry to ramble. I'm being a crybaby, but thank you for listening.

Peace and happiness:peace:

A family member of mine hopped on the merry go round about 2 years ago. He has both mental and physical issues that make him completely unable to do construction anymore. Framing homes was his life's work and he loved every minute of it. This man had tumors growing in his inner ear, he lost 70% of his hearing, and he had been institutionalized one time for bi polar disorder and what doctors thought was delusional schitzophrenia. It took 1 year and the work of 3 different lawyers to get him his social security disability. Keep your head up keep trying and get yourself a lawyer. Social security disability is damn near impossible for even the most honest people to get thanks to frauds.

I've jumped through those hoops myself. You need to get a lawyer. When you file the paperwork don't answer the questions in a competent way. Have sloppy handwriting. Don't remember all the dates. Be frustrated & pissed off. Never have a nice day. Don't smile and be friendly. Never ever appear to have your shit together. Even in the waiting rooms, big brother is watching. Even walking in from your car or out to your car, they have windows and security cameras. Never answer a question quickly. Look confused while your thinking over your answers.Not all lawyers charge the same amount. Ask around. Never ever trust the officals. If you gotta, get a job or two and call in sick all the time, don't show up on time. Get Fired for health reasons. Apply for your old positions, be honest on the applications so that they won't hire you because of your health. Be creative. Good luck, don't give up, you'll get it.

man that bites....stinks that we have so many dishonest people in the world that the honest ones dont get acredited
good luck m8

Just BlaZe :peace:

it can be so frustrating to jump through all the hoops and there will be many. i have done this for my son and it was not easy. the requirements that they ask for seem ridiculous. good luck

Man, such horror stories! I must have been lucky cause I applied for SS Disability.. got it first try. It was straight up.. I had the support of a good Doctor and I researched the testing they were going to do re: my MS. I was prepared.. and I kept great files and I followed up with certified letters and phone calls with all names and times. Now I'm good for 6 years and I qualify for medicare this March 2007.

The California State Disability was the easiest to apply for. Then there's my private coverage.. I am so glad I made that investment at work. Boy, did that help.

I am blessed! :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

Good luck Ms HappyK.

It took me three tries. I deserved it from the beginning. I had the paperwork all together the first time and the backing of doctors. One of SS's own doctors said "I want you to see where I'm signing this paperwork saying you deserve your disability so that when you are denied you'll know it wasn't my fault." The lawyer I evenutually got was retired from SS and his job had been to investigate claims. It was the advice he gave me that I posted above and it worked. I re-read my first post and felt it might appear that I played games to get mine, well actually I did, but it was they who set the rules and then wouldn't play by then. Even after they approved me the check never came. After nine months the lawyer said today we go to the office and we don't leave until we are satisfied. We talked to a...... life form there that walked into the next room, looked through a pile of papers on an unoccupied desk. He came back and told me the one who was working my case and accrued a buncha sick time and took his sick time and early retirement together. He hadn't been replace yet so my paperwork sat on an empty desk for 6 or 7 months. After nine I got my check. Retroactive anyway. I wonder about the other cases in the stack on that unoccupied desk. What..... were they hoping we would die first? This was in the Merced, Ca. office. No wonder they needed an armed security guard. I've got it for life now. Once again, good luck.

I just got my first check, after a three year battle. Don't give up, remember what you will receive will be what you have put into the system, then you will have another evaluation after you use your money you contributed to your account. After that then you will receive funds from within the system. I too can understand the fustration, stress, lack of food, or medication. Believe you me the Feds do have all information of your condition. According to date and doctor. I was shocked when I saw my file, and yes I was denied twice before. Smoke in Peace my Sister.:peace: :bong:

Pinch said:
Man, such horror stories! I must have been lucky cause I applied for SS Disability.. got it first try. It was straight up.. I had the support of a good Doctor and I researched the testing they were going to do re: my MS. I was prepared.. and I kept great files and I followed up with certified letters and phone calls with all names and times. Now I'm good for 6 years and I qualify for medicare this March 2007.

The California State Disability was the easiest to apply for. Then there's my private coverage.. I am so glad I made that investment at work. Boy, did that help.

I am blessed! :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

Good luck Ms HappyK.
I was one of the lucky ones too. I never even applied for SS myself. The V.A. asked me to sign some papers (they told me it was for ss so I knew what I was signing) so I did and the next thing I knew I had SS. My brother-in-law had big troubles getting his though. One of the secrets he figured out was to make sure your dates and statements match 100% from one try to another. His big problem getting SS was that when he reapplied or they asked him questions they never matched because he forgets easily he would make up a new date or statement. He totally deserved SS too. He did get back pay to the first time he applied but the hassle almost made him quit several times.
One thing I'm confused about is some of you talk about getting the money you put in then getting re-evaluated and hearings again in 6 years. That's all greek to me. I have a set amount that goes up every year 2 to 4% with the cost of living. Been this way for 8 years now. Never knew what I put in and never had 1 hearing let alone a re-evaluation. Is there a such thing as permanent SS disability? I ask because I'm listed as permanently disabled through the V.A.
Keep fighting the fight HK. You've got all of our well wishes and prayers for your eventual success.

One of the many great shames of this country has been giving the health of the people over to private interests, and making others beg for help. If I didn't have the V.A., I'd be toast. And they are talking about kicking out the non combat related patients also.
Even Thailand has a much better system than here.

^ the government says it supports the troops. bullshit!

hell they don't even properly equipt the ones that are still in the field. they do next to nothing for the families and try to cut benefits every chance they get. its the same story all the way back to the revolutionary war. vets do the fighting and then the gov just bends them over and pounds away.

never appear to be having a good day around them

never appear happy when around them

they have cameras and windows so don't forget in the parking lot/waiting room

if you are going for mental disabilities then don't do great filling in the forms, have sloppy and disoriented handwriting

even though you are sincerly in need of their help and not faking you want them to see by your actions as well as your words

let them know how frustrating the paper work makes you feel
my wife handled all of mine because it made me angry and upset

never answer a question without thinking about it first. when asked a question think carefully before answering, look confused, that will give you a moment to collect your thoughts.

think about getting an attorney it makes a big difference

rarely do the case workers care about you so don't fall for fake caring
they have a job because of the hoops they make you jump through

expect a denial the first time, its usually standard but your check will be retroactive to the first file date so thats cool.

did i mention get a lawyer?

good luck, i feel for ya bro.

Have copies of all medical documents that verify your disability. As I mentioned the Feds already have that info. even though you have been denied. Having your copies and copies for them given directly to the judge at your hearing will help considerably. My attorney had it easy because of all the documentation that I have. Keep your Spirits High!!! They want you to give up or make a mistake by not filing paperwork that they have sent you, and that can be stressful and costly; envelops and stamps, plus I always sent my mail cerified return mail. It did cost me $5.00 but they could not deny that they never received your completed forms, someone from SSA must sign that they have received your forms. This also helps to speed up the process. Hope this helps you.

I have a little good news on the SSI homefront.

I have spent the whole week sitting in waiting rooms, waiting to be interviewed for general assistance.Today I spent four hours waiting for my interview, only to be the last one to see someone. When I asked why someone with a disability should have to wait fours hours to be seen, all I got was "i don't see disability on the paper". Geez! They made me wait outside some work orientation meeting because I had a disability and I didnt have to go look for a job. But remember...it wasnt on the paper...grrr

Yesterday, the interviewer spoke so fast, and with such a thick accent, I had no clue about what I was supposed to do. She asked me my disability. When I told her I had an epilepsy condition, she winces and says, "ohhhhh, that will be hard to prove". She even made mention that I smelled of smoke, when I don't even smoke!!! How freakin rude!

Okay, back to today's events. After my four hour wait, the interviewer sent me over to the SSI advocacy office. After speaking with her, she said that SSI denying my claim was ridiculous, and that the denial letter they sent was a form letter. SSI has no record of my appeal, but I have the proof that they do. The advocacy have decided to take on my appeal, and at no charge to me!!! I was dumbfounded, and thrilled!!! So maybe this time, I will actually win! Before today, I had little or no hope that anyone was even taking me seriously.

A little bit of sunshine on an otherwise dreary day.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Ms Happy, you're doing everything correctly. Remember you are dealing with "clerks" at S.S. They hate their work, don't get paid enough and have to deal with a bunch of "different" people.

Recommendations.. try to use email as they can never deny getting it if you keep copies on your computer. Always use return receipt requested for USPS correspondence. Always get a name and date and time for phone calls.. good notes always mean success.

And do everything Mr User says.. they work.

Geez, I sure had it easy.. no lawyers, one medical interview.. bam.. done. But I had a well documented case of MS.. probably helped.

:bongrip: Ms. HappyKitty, look at all the support you are receiving. You are blessed! Hang in there Kitty! :cheesygrinsmiley: One more piece of info you have no out of pocket cost for the attorney. He gets paid from your retro monies from the date you first applied, and he by law can only receive a small portion. Again, my attorney basically did nothing, but his presence as my representative, does make a huge difference. It shows that you are seeking what is yours legally!:peace:
You will win, it does take time, be patient, hell when I finally got my first check I only had ice cubes in my refrigerator.

took me 6 yrs.Previously had shit doctors,who didnot help me with my health problems,so their reports to SSI were no help either. My condition has worsen. So when I did change doctors,It helped me to qualify.Without a good doctor yer ....intercoursed !!

I finally got health insurance this month!!!!! Wohooooooo! No more public health system. I can't wait!!!

Many of you have been oh the SS merry-go-round, so I would like to ask you a question...

Now that I have insurance, I am going to find new doctors.But I am in the middle of my SS appeal. My neurologist now is very supportive of my condition, and wrote a letter to go along with my appeal. I am worried what will happen with the appeal when I go to new doctors. I have considered not using my insurance and staying with the same doctors till the appeal is over.

So I would like to know if this will affect me and my claim, and if so, will it delay the process, or force me to start all over again.

Any advice you have would be very helpful Thanks

Peace and happiness

Back
Top Bottom