soil pH problem

rollinG123

:ganjamon::thanks:just about to start my first grow im using perlite & peat the ph is 7 how do i drop it to 6 also there in 2 gallon pots i hear dolomite lime will lower it ? and if this is correct how much would i need for 2 gallons cheers

Don't worry about it. As the peat breaks down the pH will become more acidic. Dolomite lime will actually counteract this and bring the pH back up.

Just let nature take it's course. :peace:

Don't worry about it. As the peat breaks down the pH will become more acidic. Dolomite lime will actually counteract this and bring the pH back up.

Just let nature take it's course. :peace:

when you say the ph will go back up you mean more alkaline or acidic

cheers for your input :bong:

Dolomite lime will raise the soil pH, which means it will increase it's alkalinity. This will combat the natural lowering of the pH (increase in acidity) caused by the decomposition of the peat.

i would suggest adding worm castings or humus or some compost to perlite and peat to improve base nutrient levels and buffer things

differing components of dirt act to absorb exctra acids or alkalines
so that a fert mix or watering with wrong Ph doesn't trash things right off thats why plants react slower in soil than in hydro or aerponics i can't explain chemistry off top of head but compost hummus or worm castings are all good for micro nutes basic low level nutes and other beneficial stuff [good bacteria and fungi,mychoria[sp]] these are the things that help get thing in dirt more usable by plants [ie if theres 100 units of N in you mix for every cupful normal available N might be 60 units with right bacteria etc available N might be 80 or more units that 100 units is chhemical composition total available is what the plant can actually use get out of the media usually less than total composition how did you measure your soil ph
have you checked ph of run off water

cheap Ph down that helps some stuff absorb better is citric acid
health food stores canning supplies agri supply

i would suggest adding worm castings or humus or some compost to perlite and peat to improve base nutrient levels and buffer things

differing components of dirt act to absorb exctra acids or alkalines
so that a fert mix or watering with wrong Ph doesn't trash things right off thats why plants react slower in soil than in hydro or aerponics i can't explain chemistry off top of head but compost hummus or worm castings are all good for micro nutes basic low level nutes and other beneficial stuff [good bacteria and fungi,mychoria[sp]] these are the things that help get thing in dirt more usable by plants [ie if theres 100 units of N in you mix for every cupful normal available N might be 60 units with right bacteria etc available N might be 80 or more units that 100 units is chhemical composition total available is what the plant can actually use get out of the media usually less than total composition how did you measure your soil ph
have you checked ph of run off water

cheap Ph down that helps some stuff absorb better is citric acid
health food stores canning supplies agri supply

ive havnt checked the run off but i will be doing now. i use a soil ph probe
great info cheers

Back
Top Bottom