Souping up my compost

Chalkoutline

420 Member
First post!

So here is the situation. I have a really nice compost pile that is pretty much completed cooking. It’s some very nice looking stuff. It was made with grass clippings, leaves, coffee grounds, eggs and whatever kitchen scraps I had as well as leftover soil from previous grows.

I would like to improve it to the level of say ocean forest or happy frog. I have about 10 cubic feet of the stuff. What would you recommend be added to it? I’m thinking some bat guano for sure but would like some other ideas.

This is strictly for indoor grows for 3-4 plants. I would also like to figure out a way to store it in my garage during the winter to have it readily available.

I would like to keep it organic as well.

I look forward to your advice!

I would like to improve it to the level of say ocean forest or happy frog. I have about 10 cubic feet of the stuff. What would you recommend be added to it?

Worms!

First post!

So here is the situation. I have a really nice compost pile that is pretty much completed cooking. It’s some very nice looking stuff. It was made with grass clippings, leaves, coffee grounds, eggs and whatever kitchen scraps I had as well as leftover soil from previous grows.

I would like to improve it to the level of say ocean forest or happy frog. I have about 10 cubic feet of the stuff. What would you recommend be added to it? I’m thinking some bat guano for sure but would like some other ideas.

This is strictly for indoor grows for 3-4 plants. I would also like to figure out a way to store it in my garage during the winter to have it readily available.

I would like to keep it organic as well.

I look forward to your advice!
First, what are your outdoor temps where you live? How long has it been sitting? Grass clippings are really "hot" for compost and should sit for at least 6-8 months before you use it. (Pics help)

Ocean Forest and Happy Frog are pretty different in nutrient composition (at least from what I have seen). It is fairly easy to meet or exceed their quality with a decent compost setup. @TorturedSoul is correct that vermiculture (WORMS!) is a huge advantage to building soil brix. But, you need some time to get them going and produce a usable about of vernicompost (the worm castings and most of the media in the container) which you would blend into your compost.

Depending on the size of your indoor pots (3-7 gallon) you can easily store what you need in a 30 gallon trashcan.

I posted practically the entirety of my knowledge on the subject in my previous message, lol. But I did once read that, if we throw yard waste into a compost pile, that we should try to add an equal ratio (by weight, I assume) of grass clippings to leaves. I'd guess that is meant to offset the high amount of nitrogen in grass? IDK.

look into some of the recipes for super soil and find one that you can find the components for. There are some very important things you want to add to your soil to grow cannabis such as humic acid, azomite, rock phosphate... get a list and see what you can do. You have a great start on it though, congrats! There is nothing like some well cooked super soil to grow organic cannabis in. My soil is now 3 years old and produces some of the best pot I have seen in my life.

First, what are your outdoor temps where you live? How long has it been sitting? Grass clippings are really "hot" for compost and should sit for at least 6-8 months before you use it. (Pics help)

Ocean Forest and Happy Frog are pretty different in nutrient composition (at least from what I have seen). It is fairly easy to meet or exceed their quality with a decent compost setup. @TorturedSoul is correct that vermiculture (WORMS!) is a huge advantage to building soil brix. But, you need some time to get them going and produce a usable about of vernicompost (the worm castings and most of the media in the container) which you would blend into your compost.

Depending on the size of your indoor pots (3-7 gallon) you can easily store what you need in a 30 gallon trashcan.

It’s been going since early spring, so a good 9 months. I am in central US so pretty warm for the most part. I have seen worms in it but haven’t really inspected it that close. Tomorrow I am planning on turning it so I will give it a good look. Maybe take some pics.

I posted practically the entirety of my knowledge on the subject in my previous message, lol. But I did once read that, if we throw yard waste into a compost pile, that we should try to add an equal ratio (by weight, I assume) of grass clippings to leaves. I'd guess that is meant to offset the high amount of nitrogen in grass? IDK.

I’m sure their is some ideal ratio but I just put everything in and keep the proper amount of moisture. Turn it once a week or so. Nothing real high tech but it seems to work.

look into some of the recipes for super soil and find one that you can find the components for. There are some very important things you want to add to your soil to grow cannabis such as humic acid, azomite, rock phosphate... get a list and see what you can do. You have a great start on it though, congrats! There is nothing like some well cooked super soil to grow organic cannabis in. My soil is now 3 years old and produces some of the best pot I have seen in my life.

I have been looking into some recipes. There are so many options but there are consistencies from recipe to recipe. Still learning. I am really hoping to get a nice sustainable source of soil going. I hate paying high dollar for dirt. Lol.

Do you have any issues with non-beneficial outdoor pests migrating inside with your soil?

It’s been going since early spring, so a good 9 months. I am in central US so pretty warm for the most part. I have seen worms in it but haven’t really inspected it that close. Tomorrow I am planning on turning it so I will give it a good look. Maybe take some pics.
I’m sure their is some ideal ratio but I just put everything in and keep the proper amount of moisture. Turn it once a week or so. Nothing real high tech but it seems to work.
All that sounds good, Worms in it means it not toxic (yay) but also means it's not that hot (thermophilic), so that might mean it needs more time to cook. Turning it will tell you lots (and grab some pics). Keeping it moist was smart, as that assists in the breakdown.

I have been looking into some recipes. There are so many options but there are consistencies from recipe to recipe. Still learning. I am really hoping to get a nice sustainable source of soil going. I hate paying high dollar for dirt. Lol.
Yes, it gets expensive when you move into 5+ gallon pots (I had several 45 gallons this summer). If you have the option, making your own soil can be hugely rewarding ($ and plant vigor). Like anything, it is a road which takes time and patience but you can get good results early and continue to increase your soil game.

Worms are a secret weapon for my soil and pretty easy overall.

My most recent mix of soil was 40% my VC (vermicompost with kelp...I live on the coast), 15% Pro-Mix, 15% Coir, 15% Perlite, 10% Vermiculite, and the remainder was mycorrizhae, azomite dust, glacial rock dust, greensand, and epsom salts.

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom