Southport Multiple Sclerosis Sufferer Hails Cannabis Spray

A BIRKDALE mum, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, has hailed a new drug containing cannabis for easing the symptoms of her condition.

Fiona Caplan, 51, first tried out the medicine, Sativex, five months ago and found it aided her movements by relieving the stiffness in her legs.

The mother-of-one had to buy the drug privately as it was not available on the NHS, but now Sativex has been granted a license on the NHS and may soon be available on prescription.

Fiona, a former tax inspector, said: "I have tried most of the drugs prescribed for MS and none of them have worked.

"I really noticed the difference with Sativex, it relieved the stiffness in my legs and really helped me go about my day-to-day business.

"I have been off the medicine for two weeks now and the stiffness has come back.

"It was costing me £176 every four weeks for Sativex and I do hope I will now be able to get it on the NHS."

Fiona, who lives in Birkdale with partner Barry, 52, and daughter Louise, 11, added: "The common misconception about the drug is that it gives users a high. Sativex doesn't give you any sort of high."

The spray is the first licensed medical drug containing whole cannabis plant extracts and is expected to become widely available to patients.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Southport Visiter
Author: Janine Yaqoob
Copyright: 2010 Trinity Mirror North West & North Wales Limited. Southport Visiter
Website: Southport multiple sclerosis sufferer hails cannabis spray

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Back
Top Bottom