Springfield, MO Doctor to Open Medical Marijuana Clinic in Seattle

Weedpipe

420 Member
(Springfield, MO) -- A doctor from Springfield is set to open a new clinic in Seattle.

Normally, that wouldn't be too unusual, but the decision has some people unhappy.

Dr. Gil Mobley wants to prescribe joints to patients who qualify for medical marijuana.

He'll also keep practicing medicine in Springfield, where his message is controversial.

"There is a place for medical marijuana in modern-day medicine," says Dr. Mobley.

That theory has no place in his daily practice in Springfield.

"We treat workplace injuries. We do pre-employment physicals."

But he's opening a medical marijuana clinic in Seattle, where prescribing pot for medical reasons is legal.

"I am an advocate for dying patients getting this medicine," he says.

Dr. Mobley would maintain the clinic in Springfield, and he'd keep all the files from both clinics digitally. However, he says there's no way any patient in the Springfield clinic would get access to medical marijuana.

"The state law of Washington says you have to be a resident, so no way can we even recommend -- even suggest -- medical marijuana for illnesses in Missouri."

But he is a doctor speaking out to Washington State lawmakers and the media, saying marijuana isn't that bad.

"It can be addicting," he adds. "But so can playing with your dog, shopping, sex with your wife and your favorite TV show."

Dr. Jim Blaine of the DWI Task Force says up to ten percent of users get addicted.

"The AMA Council classifies it as an addictive substance," says Dr. Blaine.

But Dr. Mobley says pot isn't our biggest enemy.

"It's just like me recommending Tylenol 3 or hydrocodone. That is infinitely more addictive than marijuana."

"These are things we need to control better and I would be against releasing yet another one," says Dr. Blaine.

Dr. Mobley says he's prepared to lose patients in Springfield.

"I could -- possibly, I could lose some skin in this battle."

But he says the battle for prescription weed is worth it.

Dr. Blaine believes the outcome of Dr. Mobley's talks with Washington State lawmakers may serve as a precedent if and when Missouri legalizes pot for medical reasons.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: OzarksFirst Home
Author: Emily Baucum
Copyright: 2010 Nexstar Broadcasting
Website:Springfield, MO Doctor to Open Medical Marijuana Clinic in Seattle

I wonder if we're related? :roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom