Starting up correctly

RightStart

I'm just getting started and I want to do things correctly from the start or at least as close as I can. No plants yet.

I have purchased
2 Sun System Magnum XXXL 6" Air Cooled Reflectors
2 Vortex 6" 449 CFM Powerfan - VTX600 fans
2 600 watt HPS lamps
1 Phresh Filter 6in x 24in 550CFM

I have attempted 2 DIY rooms each 4' x 4' x 7'. I built a wooden frame and walled it with 1/2" FOAMULAR Rigid Foam Insulating Sheathing and then lined with mylar. Each room is setup the same so far. Each has 1 6" port for cooling the fan AND exhausting the air from the room, and 1 6" port for air intake. I have a 6" duct coming off the Reflector toward the bottom of the room the Fan is mounted on the outside of the room, pulling air thru the reflector and out the exhaust port. I have the fan mounted outside the room but inside a small enclosure that I've packed with sound proofing to keep the fan noise low.

My temps are getting above 80F sometimes up to 85F

I've been looking at tents instead and notice they have many more ports. Some tents have ports directly on either side for air cooling the reflector and a port on top termed an exhaust port.

I have a few general questions.
Do I have the correct idea of exhausting the air in the room and cooling the reflector with 1 Fan and 1 duct run? - or -
Am I supposed to cool the reflector with air from outside and then exhaust the room air separately which would require 2 Fans?

Do you think the 1/2" FOAMULAR Rigid Foam Insulating is keeping in too much heat?
Should I cut more ports for air-intakes?
How do I keep the light out of the air-intake ports? I see some of the tents have 5 air ports. I don't see how to maintain 'light tight' while still providing enough air flow.

I'm not concerned with the carbon filter yet. I have an enclosure built for the filter. My intent is to exhaust both rooms into the filter inside the enclosure. That enclosure is then vented outside. That may work or I may need an additional filter.

Thanks for your experience, help, advice, and recommendations
I can provide pictures if needed

Where is the intake air coming from? The air you have coming into the room to help replace the hot air?

Most people make the mistake of exhausting into the same spot as they are getting intake. This is just recycling that hot air which causes problems.

If you want to ever run CO2 then you would seal the lights by having ducting on both ends, one side pulling in cool outside air and the other pushing hot air outside.

If you don't use CO2 you can have the ducting on one side of the light pulling the heat from the light and the room itself. Of course an intake is needed as well, which should be filtered for bugs and dust.

Thanks for the quick response. Both 4x4x7 rooms are in 1 bedroom. The intake air is air in the bedroom. I have an additional Honeywell Enviracaire HEPA Air Purifier that sits in the bedroom circulating and purifying the air. The exhausted air of both 4x4x7 rooms has a 6" duct that Y-joins to the Phresh filter. That Phresh filter is enclosed in its own 2.5' x 2.5 x 2' box. The air in that box is then exhausted outside with an additional 250CFM in-line fan that I picked up at home depot. I don't believe the 250CFM rating but it's only pulling air from a 2.5 x 2.5 x 2' box. So the exhausted air is leaving the house entirely after it has been filtered.

How do I keep the light out but still allow adequate air intake? I had my DIY box light tight before cutting the air intake. Now I have a 6" hole for air but it also allows light in and out. So even if I leave the bedroom light off, the light leaving one of the 4x4x7 rooms can be seen inside of the other room because of the air intake.

Do I just need to run a few feet of 6" duct ? Will that allow air in but keep light out?

Thanks for your advice

Thanks. I was thinking about the heat problem. Perhaps it is just that the intake air is too warm to begin with. Is there any general ranges? Should I be able to keep the air in the grow 'room' the same as the air in the bedroom? I assume that would be nearly impossible. Is there any 'normal' increase of 2 or 3 or 10 (etc) degrees (F) that I should shoot for?

For example if the bedroom air is 70F should I expect the room air to be 75F?

I'm beginning to think I'm going to want an air conditioner for that bedroom even though I'm running central air.

Thanks again for your help and advice

Back
Top Bottom