Sterilizing Soil?

Mr Spliff

How do you guys sterilize your soil?

I'm not sure what the stores are like in the rest of the world, but here in the UK you cannot buy sterilized soil for love nor money! So how do you guys sterilize your soil?
I only ever use the best soil available, but still suffer bugs, eggs, and allsorts of larvae.... surely in modern times it is possible to buy a soil 'treatment' that will eradicate these pests!?

Yes, i have tried the baking in the oven method, but the mess and horrendous smell lingered in the house for weeks afterwards so i have been banned from ever doing it again!

Will soaking the soils in boiling water do the job, or will this also kill off the nutrients and general 'goodness' in the soil?

Any thought's appreciated.
:smokin:

spread it outside,
use clear plastic,
on the bottom(could be black to increase heat)
and two layers on top,
with a void space between to 2 on top.
Let it be for a week and your god to Go. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for the reply, that's definitely an easy option....how does that system get rid of eggs/larvae in the soil? Is it to do with the heat? (baring in mind i'm in England and there's virtually no warm/hot days here again until next June)?

I wouldn't move soil you are trying to eradicate bugs from to the outdoors ever. Bugs live in compost piles that reach hundreds of degrees and I'd assume they would also enjoy living in your soil...
That sucks though that you can not purchase soil that doesn't have all that bullshit in it. If money isn't the worry have you ever looked online at fox farm soils? If its a legal grow, if not you can always have somebody you trust purchase it. Fox Farm Ocean Organic works amazing and most people in here would agree I am positive.

I wouldn't move soil you are trying to eradicate bugs from to the outdoors ever. Bugs live in compost piles that reach hundreds of degrees and I'd assume they would also enjoy living in your soil...
That sucks though that you can not purchase soil that doesn't have all that bullshit in it. If money isn't the worry have you ever looked online at fox farm soils? If its a legal grow, if not you can always have somebody you trust purchase it. Fox Farm Ocean Organic works amazing and most people in here would agree I am positive.

Many thanks for your thought's....i will indeed look into Fox Farm products, who knows they may even ship abroad.

Back
Top Bottom