Stoned! move! HPS bulb question

lovethestuff

One of the lamps I started this grow with I bought from a friend. Never looked at the bulb. I have a air cooled 600 HPS I am 3 weeks into flower and bought a new bulb today for a back-up. I changed the bulb when the lights went out the bulb I pulled out was a 1000 in a "600 ballast" for 7 weeks. My questions is what kind of difference am I going to see? More or less light, why did the ballast not fuck up?
:smokin:

Re: Stoned!!! move!HPS bulb question

so if i get this correct you got a bulb from a buddy, put bulb in your 600 watt ballast, bulb went out, when you change burnt-out bulb you notice bulb is a 1000 watter, well imo i would think that the new correct bulb is going to give you more light, and i dont know why the ballast did not mess up maybe thats why it fried the 1000water your buddy gave you.

The 1000 watt never went out just wanted to change it I didn't have a spare. New bulb seam a lot brighter anyway...

a ballast is a current limiting device. when you run a lower wattage bulb than your ballast is rated, it will deliver more current than the bulb can handle and at best it will burn up, at worst, explode. when you put a bulb of a wattage higher than your ballast, the current delivered is insufficient to achieve full intensity. thats why the 600 looked brighter.

The new 600w lasted 6 days then blew? I checked the ballast several times. The 600w was the correct bulb...So i put the 1000 back in, I ave no idea!

Are you using a digital ballast?

Back
Top Bottom