Support For Changing Pot Laws

Truth Seeker

Two-thirds of people responding to a Timaru Herald poll yesterday indicated that they wanted changes to cannabis laws.

The online poll came after Waimate District councillor Sandy Mulqueen made a submission to her council's long-term plan advocating the decriminalisation of marijuana for personal and medicinal use.

By last night, 76 people said the use of marijuana should be decriminalised, 70 said it should be legalised and 73 opted for the status quo.

On the streets of Waimate itself, reaction was mixed.

One resident, who did not wished to be named, said decriminalisation was a lot different to legalisation.

"I'm for decriminalisation," he said, adding that large numbers of people used cannabis for medicinal purposes.

"In North America, where I come from, hemp was grown to make rope, clothes, paper and feed stock.

"If they want to reduce all expenditures they have in this country with respect to the prison system and minor offences, then they need to decriminalise it," he said.

"Too much money is being made by a segment of the prison and legal systems for that to happen. No wonder New Zealand is leaning towards a public private partnership."

The debate raised some strong comment on The Timaru Herald - Timaru News - Stuff.co.nz | Stuff.co.nz.

Disgracefull said: "There are certain countries around the world who allow this for medical purposes, one I know of is for cancer sufferers; it is strictly controlled by professionals and laws. As this is a last resort use, I see nothing wrong with this. However, to just make it legal for one and all I would certainly not agree with."

Xwife of pot smoker!! said: "You gotta be kidding! Decriminalise marijuana; What for? So everyone can join in the pot smoking club; you reckon you can have lists of growers and smokers? What about the bad effects of marijuana, have you ever considered the family of a pot smoker?"

There was also plenty of comment on Facebook.

"It helps cancer patients with relief, alzheimers patients and the list goes on, plus how could the Government say no to more tax in their kitty?"

Amos Brown said: "I worry more about people that use alcohol and tobacco.

"Just like everything when used in moderation it can be safe to use."

Graham Walker commented: "Do the proper research and see that most all on powerful drugs started out on the wacky backy."

legalizeusa.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: stuff.co.nz
Author: Mytchall Bransgrove
Contact: Contact Us - The Timaru Herald - timaru-herald | Stuff.co.nz

Back
Top Bottom