T5 vs. CFL's

Giantsfan24

I've been searching around this site and others but can't find any definitive information regarding which light system would work best for my 3'x3'x2'deep grow space..

HPS & MH lights aren't an option due to heat and I've got to be very stealthy about it. (fan noise, etc.)

I've seen the CFL tutorial and could create my own fixture..that could work.

Then I saw something about T5 fluorescents being better than CFL's but not as good as HPS, etc..

Are T5's a good option, better than CFL's as far are quality of the bud produced goes?

I bought my stealth box..going to situate it in my garage and it will be very stealthy and small..my needs aren't large..

Any advice would be helpful. This will round out my final lighting decision and I'm ready for my build then on to growing!

:thanks:

A mixture of both would probably work best. Thats what I do anyways and it works great. The problem with using only cfl's in a closed space is the heat factor. Yes, CFL's crank out some heat of their own. So if you plan on going CFL only keep that in mind.

Having a nice light with reflector on top is great (T-5s for instance) along with CFLs on the sides. The nicest thing about CFLs is your flexibility in getting them inches from bud sites. If you have a T-5 you have a fixed plane of light you have to work around. Not a problem with a HID if you supercrop, scrog or whatever to keep your canopy even. Pretty hard to keep a canopy even enough to grow with T-5s if you ask me. You have buds that are several inches taller than the others and in fluorescent lighting inches are the world.

Having a nice light with reflector on top is great (T-5s for instance) along with CFLs on the sides. The nicest thing about CFLs is your flexibility in getting them inches from bud sites. If you have a T-5 you have a fixed plane of light you have to work around. Not a problem with a HID if you supercrop, scrog or whatever to keep your canopy even. Pretty hard to keep a canopy even enough to grow with T-5s if you ask me. You have buds that are several inches taller than the others and in fluorescent lighting inches are the world.

With the fixture design I'm looking at, I can have a 2', 8 bulb fixture on top and 3, 4 bulb fixtures, 2 running lengthwise on the side and one horizontally along the back.

This will take care of the lumen requirement in my box and then some. It will be pricey but I think it's worth it for my purposes.

Hydrofarm T5 2FT Designer Fluorescent Grow Lights - Plantlighting Hydroponics & Grow Lights

And here is my stealthy box...

It will need some modifications that I have essentially planned already..looks like one thing but it's something else..just exactly what I need.

Anyone who disagrees with my logic on the lights as a matter of function rather than preferences, please speak up...I would rather not make a lighting mistakes! Thanks!

:thanks:

T5 works great for vegging but I have not tried to flower with it. I just don't know if the light is intense enough for the resin production I want to see out of a plant. I put my hand under my HID and it feels like it is under the sun. Not to discourage you from going with a T5 but a single switchable ballast with maybe 1 or 2 CFL for side lighting would be a better option. Its your $$$ of course but with that many CFL and T5 you are right back to square 1 with heat issues and probably cost about the same as a single 600 watt ballast and light combo. For such a small area you could even run bare bulb if you had a very good exhaust system. Fans are going to make noise but small computer fans would work well for a setup like this and if you vent the exhaust heat well a MH or a HPS would not be a problem for that small area and you would get much better yields. Just my opinion.

T5 works great for vegging but I have not tried to flower with it. I just don't know if the light is intense enough for the resin production I want to see out of a plant. I put my hand under my HID and it feels like it is under the sun. Not to discourage you from going with a T5 but a single switchable ballast with maybe 1 or 2 CFL for side lighting would be a better option. Its your $$$ of course but with that many CFL and T5 you are right back to square 1 with heat issues and probably cost about the same as a single 600 watt ballast and light combo. For such a small area you could even run bare bulb if you had a very good exhaust system. Fans are going to make noise but small computer fans would work well for a setup like this and if you vent the exhaust heat well a MH or a HPS would not be a problem for that small area and you would get much better yields. Just my opinion.

I've been toying with this idea..just adding a 150w MH or HPS..600w for that size a grow space seems way high to me...is it? The lights will cost just over $500. Seems like for the small space an mh or hps heat would be managable without breaking the bank to keep them running.

The fan system I've got designed on paper is 2 120cfm fans connected with duct work to a home made carbon filter sucking the air out from the inside. Passive intake below with home made screens for pest control and a light shield. I'll need a 12v converter and to wire the fans up but that's fine, I can do that.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom