Tailgating Costa Charged With Smoking Pot

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
State Rep. Paul Costa faces a court hearing on a citation accusing him of smoking marijuana during a tailgate party outside a Pittsburgh Steelers game, his lawyer said Tuesday.

Undercover Pittsburgh police Officer Alex Lee Myers was patrolling the parking lots outside the Oct. 3 game at Heinz Field, which the Steelers lost to the Baltimore Ravens, and said he saw Costa, 51, a Democrat from Wilkins, sharing a joint with another man.

"He adamantly denies that he smoked any marijuana," said Costa's attorney, Phil DiLucente. "No narcotics of any kind were found on him. In fact, he detests marijuana."

Myers and police Sgt. Steve Matakovich were walking at the intersection of Reedsdale Street and Tony Dorsett Drive when they saw Costa and Mitchell Brourman, 50, of Edgewood "smoking and passing between them a hand-rolled white cigarette," while standing next to a 2008 white GMC Yukon, according to a criminal complaint.

Myers said he could smell "the overpowering scent of burning marijuana coming from the smoke surrounding both Brourman and Costa."

The officers watched Costa and Brourman pass the joint back and forth, and then approached. When they displayed their badges and identified themselves as officers, Brourman dropped the joint, Myers said.

"You got us," both men said, according to the affidavit. Myers picked up the joint.

Though Costa and Brourman told the officers they didn't have any other illegal substances, police said a search of Brourman's Yukon turned up more marijuana in an orange pill container. Police took the evidence to the county crime lab, according to the affidavit.

DiLucente, who also represents Brourman, said he doubts Myers and Matakovich could have witnessed what they claimed because they were standing about 100 feet away when they began to approach his clients. He said police did not ask Costa to submit to a blood test for the drug.

Both are charged with one count of prohibited acts and face a hearing Nov. 24.

"We can't stress enough how anxious we are to get to court and clear his name," DiLucente said of Costa.

Mike Manko, spokesman for Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr., declined to comment.

The news of Costa's citation traveled to Harrisburg, where House Democrats are wrapping up business.

"He is a straight shooter," said Rep. Nick Kotik, D-Coraopolis. "I got to hear the whole story."

Costa was first elected to the 34th District seat in 1998. He is a member of House committees on commerce, liquor control, tourism and recreational development, and transportation. His brother Jay Costa of Forest Hills is a state senator; his cousin, Dom Costa, a former Pittsburgh police chief, is a state representative from Stanton Heights.

During the 2009-10 legislative session, Paul Costa sponsored two resolutions congratulating the Steelers -- for winning the 2008 AFC Championship and Super Bowl XLIII. Records show he did not sign on as a co-sponsor of House Bill1393, Rep. Mark Cohen's failed bill to legalize marijuana for medical use during the session.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: pittsburghlive.com
Copyright: 2010 Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Contact: Pittsburgh News, Sports, and Events - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Website: Tailgating Costa charged with smoking pot - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Although I don't think anyone should be punished for Cannabis I gotta say I agree.
:)

Yeah, but being a hypocrite ought to be a felony.

Big brother is always watching you, especially at major sporting events. If you are not being checked out by under cover you are most certainly on a video camera. I always tell everyone, "Smile, you are on cam."

Back
Top Bottom