Teacher sent to prison for giving students pot

R

roachclip

His passion was mathematics. His poison was pot.

Former Eastlake North High School teacher Anthony Minnillo told Lake County Common Pleas Judge Richard Collins that he went too far trying to impress students when he hosted parties and supplied marijuana for them.

"My day job was a teacher. At night I was a mess," Minnillo said. "I was smoking marijuana morning to night. I knew it was killing me, but I could not stop."

Minnillo, 30, admitted he had long-standing addictions to both marijuana and alcohol. Defense lawyer Anne Veneziano said those vices colored his judgment when he tried to gain acceptance from his students.

Prosecutors said he broke the law when he hosted as many as 18 parties at his Highland Heights home and provided marijuana to students. At least six times he left school early to smoke dope with students at a local apartment. Minnillo pleaded guilty to four counts of corrupting another with drugs.

Collins sentenced him to nine months in prison, saying Minnillo had violated the sacred trust parents place in teachers.

"Your occupation obliged you to teach respect for the law, not total disregard for the law. You made teaching more difficult for all teachers," Collins said.

Assistant Prosecutor Michelle Baeppler called his conduct outrageous. "He was supposed to be a role model. Obviously, he was not."

Minnillo's psychiatrist testified that Minnillo's addictions started at age 14 and impaired his judgment. Low self esteem and anxiety issues had him desperate to gain acceptance, he said. Minnillo has been sober for five months and is in drug treatment.

Baeppler said Minnillo, a teacher for one year, will likely lose his license after being convicted of four felonies.

Minnillo, who resigned in 2003, apologized to the students he harmed.

"I always loved math and helping people. I believed if I could teach kids I could show them that there is something for them after high school," Minnillo said. "It's horrible what happened. I'd cut my arm off if I could change things. I hope these kids find help. Maybe they can learn from my mistakes."

Source: The Plain Dealer
Author: Maggi Martin
Published: Thursday, June 24, 2004
Copyright: 2004 The Plain Dealer. Used with permission.
Website: https://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/lake/1088069617108370.xml

Back
Top Bottom