Temp Question

Deketx

Where I am growing now is in a part of my basement that isn't finished. I have. Central A/C and heat in the rest of the basement but not in that room. Well I've noticed the temp drop this past week. I used my laser temp gauge I leave there just to check plant leaf temps at the tops. They are 70°. That is like 6° less than before.
So do you think that is too cool to grow? I know some strains are from cool climates, but most these plants we grow have been bred so much maybe that strength isn't in them anymore? I'm pretty sure the temps will be like in the high 60's in there this winter. Is that too cold?

Don't worry about temps at the leaf surface. Plants self regulate the temps by turning toward or away from light and wind (fans) and also create a micro-climate at the leaf surfaces with rH by way of transpiration.

So as long as you are watering, have some fans going and lights on, you will be fine as long as your temps are above say 55F at night should be fine lights on.

What you should monitor is the floor temps - if your plants pots are sitting on cement floor that floor can get significantly cooler due to the fact its lower down in the ground. So monitor the temps of the cement. It should stay pretty much the same all the time but cool temps at the roots will slow down growth overall.

If you don't have insulation under the pots, think about adding some solid foam board insulation just to isolate the plants from the colder cement floor.

Don't worry about temps at the leaf surface. Plants self regulate the temps by turning toward or away from light and wind (fans) and also create a micro-climate at the leaf surfaces with rH by way of transpiration.

So as long as you are watering, have some fans going and lights on, you will be fine as long as your temps are above say 55F at night should be fine lights on.

What you should monitor is the floor temps - if your plants pots are sitting on cement floor that floor can get significantly cooler due to the fact its lower down in the ground. So monitor the temps of the cement. It should stay pretty much the same all the time but cool temps at the roots will slow down growth overall.

If you don't have insulation under the pots, think about adding some solid foam board insulation just to isolate the plants from the colder cement floor.
Thanks for the reply. That makes me happy to hear. I have a bunch of new strains to run and I didn't want to wait till spring! They all are off the concrete floor, and I'm thinking another small fan to help direct the warm air coming off the heat sinks would help also.

Back
Top Bottom