Tennessee: Medical Marijuana Supporters Have Hopes For Cannabis Oil Bill

Jacob Redmond

Several states have already legalized medical marijuana, but Tennessee is not one of them.

Supporters said this issue is one that doesn't deal with politics. It deals with the way people live their lives.

Toni Corbin comes back year after year in support of medical marijuana because of her son.

"It would help Wally greatly," Corbin said. "He has intractable seizures from a motorcycle accident in 2009."

The issue brought Corbin and her family to Capitol Hill from Wilson County. She said medical marijuana could supplement Wally's treatment.

"If I'm doing this, it's hurting just by touching him," Corbin said. "He doesn't want to be moved or touched at all."

But Corbin said she knows what she's up against. So does Rep. Sherry Jones, D-Nashville.

"The Republicans can't move beyond free love and hippies, and I mean that seriously," Jones said.

In the past, lawmakers have voted against medical marijuana. The arguments range from public safety to negative health impacts.

But supporters might find more success in another bill that would legalize cannabis oil for medical reasons. The proposal is sponsored by Rep. Jeremy Faison, a Republican.

"I haven't been disappointed," Jones said. "We've heard about oil. There's another that would include a lot less diseases and that will be a Republican bill also. And that's OK."

Whatever happens, Corbin said she'll keep fighting. But for her son, the clock is ticking.

"I can wait," she said. "People with seizures, people with cancer, it's known to help. These people don't have any time."

13440.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana supporters have hopes for cannabis oil bill - MyFoxAL.com - FOX6 WBRC Birmingham, AL
Author: Alanna Autler
Photo Credit: BPCC
Website: Breaking News - Birmingham News - FOX 6 WBRC - MyFoxAL.com - MyFoxAL.com - FOX6 WBRC Birmingham, AL

Back
Top Bottom