Terpene Profiles

Jackalope

I recently read a article on Terpenes and there effects to the brain and body. Really interesting stuff. While THC content has grown to outrages rates. It can't be the only reason that marijuana is getting so much better. Older strains build just for power were pretty damn strong. Strong enough to be the building blocks for the greats of today. They still lacked the intense flavors you find today............................................................
Strains of today only make it to the top when the intense smells equate to flavor. Terpenes are carried in the resin so with higher THC you get more terpenes. So that is part of the reason. Its seems to be more then that now. Even lower THC strains carry their smells to flavor so much better today.......................................
It takes more then just THC to make great stains anymore. If terpenes effect the mind and body? Wouldn't the more diverse terpene profiles we are finding today make the marijuana today more powerful in more ways then THC and CBD?

Some times this crowd is hard to get into a conversation. Hell its the internet everyone has a opinion. Most are never scared to use them.
I was just wondering peoples views on the mixing of terpenes. 3 interesting ways to mix them.
1 Cross like smelling and tasting strains to make a stronger more flavorfully tasting strain. One I always thought would be amazing is a cross of my 2 favorite lemons. Jack the Ripper x Super Lemon Haze. By crossing them would you get more of the terpenes associated with lemon? If so wouldn't you get more of the effects of that those terpenes have?
2 Cross terpenes that would complement each other. Fruity strains with Berry strains is always a good one. To many to name the crosses that come to mind in this category.
3 Cross opposite terpenes. This is where you can really get crazy. Berries and Lemons is where we got sour from.
It is along these lines that got me on this subject. I am selfing a purple strain that is one of my favorites so I don't have to worry about males. This strain is full on Purps. While I am doing that I am going to have another grow going. I am choosing strains top start now. Hard to choose because you never know what seed is going to be the great plant. Most plants will show you that they are special early on. When you can pollenate if you so choose. If I am going to have female pollen anyway why not cross any special ones with the Purple Betty. But what do I choose in the hopes of of finding a good one. I could go with something that would blend with the Purps smell and flavor or something that is totally opposite of it. I have enough genetics for plenty of options either way.
What are your thoughts on mixing the smells and flavors of marijuana?

For the people that do not want to get "That" involved here are a few of the strains I am considering. I will end up with 2 sativas and 4 indicas or hybrids.
Blueberry, D.J. Short
Deep Purple, TGA
Bubble Gum T.H. Seeds
Blueberry Headband, Humboldt.
M.O.B., T.H Seeds
Black Dog, Humboldt.
Afgooie, Strain hunters.
Super Lemon Haze, Greenhouse.
Strawbery Haze, Greenhouse.
Acapulco Gold, Barnies Farm.
Tangalope, DNA.
Chemdawg, Humboldt
If any one of these turned out to be something special. They all could make some very interesting hybrids with the reversed Purple Betty.

Wow tough crowd. Ok here are the ones that I am thinking about for radical terpene blends I thought would be intesting.
Tangalope x Purps
Bubblegum x Purps
The Chem x Purps might happen as I am going with the Chem for sure.

I like your ideas @Jackalope. Sorry to see no one else found you here.

Breeding can do some strange things and you won’t know until you give it a go. Nis bred together my two favorite chemovars, Dark Devil Auto and Carnival and we ended up with something very different and some completely different-looking phenotypes, but each also very special in their own ways. The one I grew out turned out to be incredibly potent with brown flowers where others got deep purples.

The purples have a grape flavor the brown doesn’t even suggest.

Carnival, grown well, has a sharp snap of lime. That didn’t carry over at all to any of the phenotypes I’m aware of. DDA has berry and fuel, and that’s what turned to grape with the breeding project. No one expected grape.

The colors were incredible and the resulting Devil’s Carnival has been a delight to be a part of. Eventually I’ll seed one, and begin my own adventure down the genetics path.

Genetics... it’s a game I haven’t jumped into yet, but you guys keep tempting me.

The purps are higher in b-caryophyllene, the terpene that hits the top notes for cancer treatment. That’s why Granddaddy Purple is so popular in Cali.

When you get to the sativas I want to see what you end up with that’s super high in exotic citrus blends. I seem to respond best to the profiles higher in limonene.

Leave a post with a link at my study hall and feel free to do the same on my grow journals. See if we can stir up more interest in this important area.

I believe Oldbear has a thread he started on terpenes. Look him up and see. Also, the Holy Grail thread will be a good place to find interested parties. They’re all about terpenes. That’s why Oldbear started his terps thread. Drop a note with a link there too.

Make some noise. You’re lost over here on your own. But regardless, continue to follow this path and document the journey here. Terpenes are what determine the actions of cannabinoids. How much more important do you have to be to draw attention? With a healthy terpenes profile we have enhanced healing potential.

Good start. Remember it’s the journey that holds all the joy and satisfaction. Have the time of your life playing with Canna genetics.

Thanks for the reply. Great info. I will have to check into Oldbear.
I ended up using the Tangalope for the reasons I had stated before. Its going to be interesting to see what mixing these terpenes will do.
Thanks for the info on the Purps. I knew there was something about it other then just good weed. I agree with you on Lemonlene. I am trying to keep a plant that carries it in each grow. The next high THC sativa strain I am doing is going to be Jacks Cleaner. It should have some pheno's that carry good Lemonlene.

The Spliff seeds Power Plant I am growing has a great lemon smell to it. Lemon and something LOL. I know this is not normal Power Plant but find I really like it. I think they used another African strain instead of the Durban Poison. Plants are covered in trichomes so it going to be good what ever it is.

Space is the biggie. That is why I am doing everything now. May not be the right time but I have the space now and I may not after next year. I like a lot of room between pollen and my plants.

Back
Top Bottom