The Botany of Desire

G-Dog

The book written by botanist Michael Pollan, 'The Botany of Desire' is a fantastic read for all of us here, and there is a very comprehensive PBS documentary based on the book.

The Botany of Desire: Based on the book by Michael Pollan | PBS

The PBS Documentary was very informative about plants and a large segment was dedicated to Marijuana. "Marijuana growers are some of the best botanist in the world," Michael says in the documentary.

Also discussed were the risk or dangers of creating monoculture genetics, the genetic diversity contained in seeds, and the best ways to fight mother nature is to Not fight mother nature. I would not pass over the segments dedicated to Tulips, Apples or Potatoes, because the information he shares on those have a direct relationship to what is happening to Marijuana in our current age.

I got it on Netflix last night, but I am sure there are other sources including youtube.

g-dog, I watched the documentary earlier this year and thought it was AWESOME.
We just got the book from a cool site called swaptree.com where people can swap books, music and movies.

Anyway, just wanted to say hey and to give a good recommendation for the documentary and book.

Peace

That's great Chicago Joe

Growing-Gardening for me is a passion and a love that I have done most of my adult life, I got a lot out of the program and would love to read the book. I wish more people in the MJ community understood the dangers of monoculture genetics and the dangers of breeding out the original genetic diversity that exist in wild species. Although we want to selectively breed for traits that we desire we have to also be careful we do not completely lose the genetic diversity that had existed in nature to begin with. You really cannot find the original Thais or Colombian Golds that existed only 20-30 years ago. I believe those genetics are extinct or very close to it.

Thanks for the recommendation on swaptree. You know I had always thought of the benefits of a site like that. I pay $35 for a book, but once I read it it is garbage. It would be nice to give it to someone else to read when I am done.

Thanks for the recommendation on swaptree. You know I had always thought of the benefits of a site like that. I pay $35 for a book, but once I read it it is garbage. It would be nice to give it to someone else to read when I am done.

The coolest thing is that you are trading books (or other media) with people and get to choose from their collections. So it makes getting strange, out of print or hard-to-find books easier.

Back
Top Bottom