The Law Of Jah And Marijuana

Genesis 1:11 "And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so."

The tradition of marijuana usage as a sacrament is rooted in African culture, Biblical verse, and the ceremonial rites of Rastafari people. Several books within the Bible are accredited by scholars as encouraging its use; translated "qaneh bosm" into Hebrew and Near Eastern languages- Genesis 3:18 "thou shall eat the herb of the field" being one. "Grounation" and "Reasonings" ceremonies facilitate its use respectively towards discussing social/ ethical issues as well as regarding more festive activities involving song and dance. Its use as a meditative aide was culturally diffused into the Caribbean during the 20th Century by way of the Sadhu's (holy) of India who adorned dreadlocks- a tradition upheld for centuries; in fact, the denotation of Sadhu is the same nomenclature used to describe the spiritual path of Gautauma Buddha who cut his locks in renunciation of royal life.

Marijuana, also known as (Black Indian Hemp) has a political history in the U.S. similar to other herbs used by indigenous peoples. While the early to mid 70's demonstrated a liberal approach that encouraged "noncriminal discouragement" toward marijuana use, this policy was generally abandoned by the late 70's due to a letter entitled "Mad Housewife" to the then Drug Czar Dr. Robert Dupont in 1976. An advocate of decriminalization, his point of view was admittedly abandoned citing the perception of his being a pro- pot drug czar as opposed to being pro- decriminalization. It was believed in the scientific community that marijuana was a low priority concern consistent with the findings in the White Paper during the Ford administration.

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 was designed to restore religious freedom under the 1st and 14th amendments of the Constitution. Its 1997 repeal by the Supreme Court gave statutory law precedent over the congressional act aimed at protecting what was believed to be the Constitutional right of its citizens. Its enactment was inspired by a 1990 court case where Native Americans lost unemployment eligibility benefits when found to have been using peyote as a religious sacrament, a violation of Oregon state law. The irony of repealing the act cited violation of the First Amendment's stipulation regarding seperation of church and state; as a religious group would gain statutory privilege, resulting in the law being declared unconstitutional. In addition to this the court decided it couldn't account for "socially harmful conduct" in favor of state law by those who use herbs as sacrament; in this case peyote. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act was the result of a coalition of several religious organizations whose laws are now observed by a select number of states.

On February 27, 1998 devout Rastafarian George Singleton was pulled over by an Oklahoma Police Trooper and arrested for DUI. Depending on the account one reads he was suspected of either weaving in and out of lanes or driving with an expired license tag. Singleton was thought to be under the influence of marijuana based on the presence of mulein and rosemary, a medicinal herb used to treat tuberculosis. Though no intoxicants were found in his blood he spent 25 days in jail and was threatened to be charged with possessing an imitation illicit substance. Singleton, like many Rastafarians, has maintained his close relationship with nature through stewardship, herbology, and gardnering. He is the Director of a nonprofit organization who has been a member of the Indianapolis community for 10 years. Singleton's account of profiling is not unique to Rastafarians however the frequency of such harrassment is exacerbated by law.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Examiner.com
Author: Ivan England
Copyright: 2010 Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Major Tom, why so?
Indeginous peoples have used these plants for millenia.
It is only in the last 150 years or so that we have been running into problems with the substances derived from these plants.
As most herbalists will tell you, herbs should be used as a whole food, not synthetically extracted from the plant material. I believe as a lot of people do, that the extraction takes away the symbiosis of the plants chemicals( some good, some bad but balanced)
And that is just my opinion. ;-)

I think if you believe in God,you most likely believe that every plant has a purpose,and I believe that there is a cure for everything if you look in the right place . peace

It become a different beast when you ad god, god cannabis, god coca, god opium, even sounds weird like that.

The synthetic change and hardly any nature use makes them in a uncontrolled atmosphere very deadly.

Cannabis of course has never harmed a soul, but coca and H sadly have.

What's happening today and how there mainly used is the heart of the matter and ether a world needing a god to advance an agenda of legalization in a way not needed but why not with how the laws are unjust.

But live and let live we need each others view of life to give us balance
:peace:

harm_drugs.jpg

It become a different beast when you ad god, god cannabis, god coca, god opium, even sounds weird like that.

The synthetic change and hardly any nature use makes them in a uncontrolled atmosphere very deadly.

*Cannabis of course has never harmed a soul*,
but coca and H sadly have.
What's happening today and how there mainly used is the heart of the matter and ether a world needing a god to advance an agenda of legalization in a way not needed but why not with how the laws are unjust.

But live and let live we need each others view of life to give us balance
:peace:

I don't mean to sound contrarian, however, cannabis HAS in fact harmed people through its use... The term Assassin comes from the Arabic="Hasshashin" (approx. proper 'anglization'...)

It is all in the heart of the one using it. If you are an evil-minded SOB when you are straight you become Godlizza MoFo... on cannabis...

Of course the use by the above was in the form of Hashish. We can talk pieties 'til Hades freezes over, but please reason this: IT DEPENDS ON YOUR HEART - your intent in life.:)

Those plants have "accepted" medical uses. So as far as the gov. is concerned they are safer than cannabis. What a crock of Sh*t!

If anyone has doubts as to "Money" running the government just look at the BP fiasco. ACK in disgust.

Major, You can now put that fifth emblem on your plane [ACE], there going in smokin ... Respectful gregards from the PNW

imo there's nothing wrong with chewing a coca leaf now and then or opium for that matter, if thats your thing....now coke and 'horse' , on the other hand are very different substances than God intended when She created poppies and the coca plant.

Just like I dont think She wanted uranium or nitro glycerin to be used for weapons.
Edit
(I dont think God wanted forum keyword filtering either.:p)

I usually get in trouble for my opinions on God around here. Mostly because I think that religion is about social hegemony and control with most Christian sects asking for 10% of your gross income in exchange for guilt trips and pressure to conform to pastoral guidance.

As an American, I think there is plenty of evidence that the 20th century prohibition of cannabis in the United States is based on xenophobia and egregiously poor science.

As a species, humanity has utilized various herbs and drugs for centuries for medicinal, recreational and religious reasons. I believe that certain drugs, whether alcohol used by Catholics or marijuana used by Rastafarians and others, have been used for millenium with certain psychotropic properties that enhance the spiritual experience those believers seek. Though wine was probably originally used because drinking water quality prior to modern treatment and distribution was a health hazard and aesthetically unappealing.

So kudos for the retrospect on historical marijuana use in religions including judaism and christianity. Whether one believes in God or not isn't terribly relevant to modern international drug laws in my opinion. The laws that prohibit cannabis throughout the world need repealing because the science and logic supporting them just don't make sense.

Just my humble opinion.

Best,
HN

I usually get in trouble for my opinions on God around here. Mostly because I think that religion is about social hegemony and control with most Christian sects asking for 10% of your gross income in exchange for guilt trips and pressure to conform to pastoral guidance.

As an American, I think there is plenty of evidence that the 20th century prohibition of cannabis in the United States is based on xenophobia and egregiously poor science.

As a species, humanity has utilized various herbs and drugs for centuries for medicinal, recreational and religious reasons. I believe that certain drugs, whether alcohol used by Catholics or marijuana used by Rastafarians and others, have been used for millenium with certain psychotropic properties that enhance the spiritual experience those believers seek. Though wine was probably originally used because drinking water quality prior to modern treatment and distribution was a health hazard and aesthetically unappealing.

So kudos for the retrospect on historical marijuana use in religions including judaism and christianity. Whether one believes in God or not isn't terribly relevant to modern international drug laws in my opinion. The laws that prohibit cannabis throughout the world need repealing because the science and logic supporting them just don't make sense.

Just my humble opinion.

Best,
HN

Good opinion

Major Tom, I apologize for my rambling 6/15, just out of hospital from successful disc surgery and I was TOTALLY wasted [there way and mine]. But I swear i had a great thought I attempted to post. New rule for me, post when your brain is actually running. Recovering @ Loading Zone 13

Back
Top Bottom