The Submersive Pump in Deep Water Culture

I am often asked the questions "which pump should I use?" and "when should I remove the water pump?"

Here I would like to discuss the use of the water pump in the single Deep Water Culture reservoir tank. StealthHydro offers 2 different manufactured submersible water pumps. The ActiveAqua Pump offers sizes of 40 gph, (gallons per hour) 160, 250, 400 gph. They also offer the Sunleaves DuraPump, that is larger, stronger and comes in 160, 245 and 600 gph. The 400 gph and 600 gph larger pumps are only for small outdoor ponds and very large hydroponics systems that use multiple tanks from one pump. I am privileged to be a member of a group of over 100 Deep Water Culture growers that meet daily on a web site and discuss and compare our experience with the Deep Water Culture Systems and using different pumps. We have all agreed that the smaller the pump the better. It is better to have a smaller trickle of water mixed with bubbles than to have a solid hard stream of water from a larger pump. We also agreed that the smaller pumps do not produce as much heat, and they cost less, but they are not as durable. I have used the SunLeaves 245 gph pumps in 4 consecutive grows, and they are still pumping strong. Both brands are easy to disassemble to clean. When and if I ever have to replace a water pump, I will go with the more economical 160 gph SunLeaves Pump or ActiveAqua Pump because either provides the right amount of water and bubbles and it runs slightly cooler.

When should the pump be removed? Look at these pumps, after they were used for 4 weeks and I removed them.

008296.JPG

a nasty pump

006312.JPG

Pump with dead roots in it

Nasty looking after 4 weeks of use, aren't they? Allow me to stress or emphasize this; a submersible water pump can harbor dead debris, dead roots, and possibly mushy yukey slimey stuff that really jacks up the pH. After two weeks of use, you should give your water the sniff test to determine if the water pump is possibly spoiling the water. It should smell like fresh cut iceberg lettuce or alfalfa sprouts, and not have a bad odor. Most all water pumps have a filter in them that needs cleaning after three weeks, or get the pump out of there after 3 or 4 weeks or when the roots are well established in the deep water. A nasty filter is why you notice the need to increase the use of the pH Down after 3 or 4 weeks.

After the first two weeks, and then daily, your pH will normally climb from 6.0 to 7.0 in about 18 to 24 hours because the plants are eating the nutrients and the water level is going down, and becomes more acidic. If the water jumps to a pH of 7.5 to 8.0 in a day, you have a problem, and 99% of the time it is dead debris, dead roots or dead leaves in the tank or trapped in the water pump. Remove and clean the filter in the water pump after two or three weeks, or after the roots are established in the deep water, or get that water pump out. Then the pH will be more stable.

I have looked and looked for replacement filters for the pumps and I can not find any. I have learned they can be soaked in bleach for several days and the bleach just melts the decaying roots away. Then I use vinegar to rinse the bleach away.

Or you can replace the filters with these plastic pan scrubbers:

007303.JPG

2 plastic scrubbers

PanScrubber1.jpg

Potpanscrubber1.jpg

a plastic mesh pan scrubber

Simply clean your water pump, and replace the filters with one, two or three of the mesh pan scrubbers, depending on the size of your pump.

An alternative to disassembling and cleaning the pumps is the use of the SunLeaves Submersible Water Pump Bags offered by StealthHydro. I'll never do another grow without them.

Water_Pump_Bags.jpg

SunLeaves Filter Bags for submersive Water Pumps

great post rose, but i will add one thing to it. its about the removal of the pump once the roots have reached the water. at about the time the roots hit the water is when you need to keep a close eye on the main stem of your plant. make sure the pump isnt keeping the main stem moist, what happens is it acts like a wick and soaks up water and where the dry stem meets the wet stem youll notice a slight black purple ring forming at the point they meet. if this starts to develop pull the pump immediately because your are experiencing a problem known as stem rot it will kill your plants if not caught soon enough. here are pictures of 3 plants i had in a bp setup that had the pump on them too long so you know what to look for.

rsz_img_0851.jpg

rsz_img_0852.jpg

rsz_img_0853.jpg

I kept my pump going non-stop the first two grows, I didn't know any better. I had a very tiny 140 gph pump then.

I've never seen stem rot. I've never seen my stems wet.

I think the pump ought to be pulled or shut off at 3 or 4 weeks or when the roots are three inches established in the water.

yeah it doesnt happen every time, and im thinking it had more to do with the feeder tube being to high in the net cup, but just wanted to post this up incase people experience this they know what to do, or whats happening to there plants.

thoes were takin from my first ever bubble poinics grow, back from the days of "over there"..

Yea, it's from being up too high. I personally am a firm believer in sub-surface root zone flooding. My ladies love the shit out of it, and I'm running pumps the entire grow as it also oxygenates the water too. :)

great post rose, but i will add one thing to it. its about the removal of the pump once the roots have reached the water. at about the time the roots hit the water is when you need to keep a close eye on the main stem of your plant. make sure the pump isnt keeping the main stem moist, what happens is it acts like a wick and soaks up water and where the dry stem meets the wet stem youll notice a slight black purple ring forming at the point they meet. if this starts to develop pull the pump immediately because your are experiencing a problem known as stem rot it will kill your plants if not caught soon enough. here are pictures of 3 plants i had in a bp setup that had the pump on them too long so you know what to look for.

rsz_img_0851.jpg

rsz_img_0852.jpg

rsz_img_0853.jpg

You look like you could use some T-paper tubes like i used last grow
IMG_00275.JPG
IMG_00256.JPG

nah i run aero/nft now, no more problems EVER!!!!!!

Good info to have! This little Eco 132 gph pump here worked great too Roseman. Even at this small size it pumped fine thru 4 feed sites. Pump was 10 bucks. Unfortunately they were "lost" and I only have a couple bigger pumps to use now.
000_06002.JPG

Yea, it's from being up too high. I personally am a firm believer in sub-surface root zone flooding. My ladies love the shit out of it, and I'm running pumps the entire grow as it also oxygenates the water too. :)

I agree. I think the lower roots love the flooding and additional feeding, and I think that moving water is cooler. I've removed the hub and kept the pump running many times. My first two grows with a smaller pump, I never did remove the hub or the pump or turn it off.

Yep 10-12 bucks is a great stopping point for me! I can not see paying the 20-30 bucks... after seeing how gunked up they get and of course you know how much a pain they are to clean!!! I'm too lazy (and picky) to be cleaning those pumps all the time.

Well.. Since we're discussing this here.. There are benefits and drawbacks to leaving it running the whole grow or not..

Removing the pump causes the upper roots to lignify and to shed (abscission) their lateral roots that are no longer being drenched from the down pour in the pot.

The shed roots, can clog things, foul up the res, and encourage bacterial growth.

The lignification on the other hand.. is like your plant wrapping a death grip around that net cup. The upper roots become hard, and taught, surrounding themselves with a wood-like coating.

This lignification of the upper root area, requires carbon-fixation, nitrogen and energy that would normally be applied to other areas of the plant had the pump remained.
Also, this lignification is usually saw as a potential drought indicator to the plant, which tells it to spur new exploratory roots in the far end tips, and to pull back leaf growth until the roots can catch up to where they were before the lignifiation.

The way I see it.. there's several benefits of leaving the pump in or taking it out, but all in all, I prefer to run it the entire time.

Well.. Since we're discussing this here.. There are benefits and drawbacks to leaving it running the whole grow or not..

Removing the pump causes the upper roots to lignify and to shed (abscission) their lateral roots that are no longer being drenched from the down pour in the pot.

The shed roots, can clog things, foul up the res, and encourage bacterial growth.

The lignification on the other hand.. is like your plant wrapping a death grip around that net cup. The upper roots become hard, and taught, surrounding themselves with a wood-like coating.

This lignification of the upper root area, requires carbon-fixation, nitrogen and energy that would normally be applied to other areas of the plant had the pump remained.
Also, this lignification is usually saw as a potential drought indicator to the plant, which tells it to spur new exploratory roots in the far end tips, and to pull back leaf growth until the roots can catch up to where they were before the lignifiation.

The way I see it.. there's several benefits of leaving the pump in or taking it out, but all in all, I prefer to run it the entire time.

I'm impressed and I agree 100% too. I ran it 24/7 my first two grows, and now I remove it after 4 weeeks, but I might go back to leaving it in longer.

Great post, SciFi, great contribution. + REP!

Quick question, what is your doing a 5gal bucket grow with the sub pump, would one advise to leave it in for the whole grow? I think the people that have done these grows have. Also I have seen many people talking about using a type of bag mesh or stockings to keep the pump from getting dirty with dead roots. Not sure if that was already mentioned on the first page and if so just re-stating.

Quick question, what is your doing a 5gal bucket grow with the sub pump, would one advise to leave it in for the whole grow? I think the people that have done these grows have. Also I have seen many people talking about using a type of bag mesh or stockings to keep the pump from getting dirty with dead roots. Not sure if that was already mentioned on the first page and if so just re-stating.

Sweet lady, go back and read the other page.

It wouldn't matter if it is a 5 gallon bucket or a ten gallon reservoir. The pros and cons remain the same.

I'm impressed and I agree 100% too. I ran it 24/7 my first two grows, and now I remove it after 4 weeks, but I might go back to leaving it in longer.

Great post, SciFi, great contribution. + REP!

Preshadit. :)

Just doing what I do here man. Research is my thing. Speakin of...

I got a few more tricks up my sleeve built, you'll see later.

Back
Top Bottom