Tiny white worm/caterpillar/maggots eating my leaves-id please

YoJoLo

I found one leaf set today that had what I thought were tiny white spots on it. It was almost entirely covered. I cut it and was shocked at what I found. There were minuscule see through dots where something had eaten the meaty underside of the leaves but the top membrane of the leaf was still there. When you hold it up to the light you could see through the eaten areas but they were not holes and they are not tunnels. If you look at leaf miner damage you can see the damage they do are like one big long tunnel These are not tunnels-they're tiny spots where the leaf has been bitten from underneath. Pretty much the whole underside of three leaves had been eaten and had little white dots.

On the underside of the leaf I found these tiny, white hairy maggot looking things. They're not even the length of an eyelash. I looked through a jeweler's loupe and I could see they had gray/white hairs all around and had a tiny black dot on one end like a maggot. The hairs are so fine you cannot see them with the naked eye-only a 10x magnification jeweler's loupe. I don't like calling them maggots because it is not fly larvae. I used to trout fish with maggots and I know what they look like when freshly hatched. These are so much smaller than that and fly maggots do not have hairs on them.

I also found a few thrips when I was looking through my plants. I know the caterpillar/maggot things are not thrip larvae because I looked at images of the larvae online. So I know I have at least two problems. Thrips and leaf miners??? I cannot find what these hairy worm-like caterpillar/maggot things might be.

I have an indoor grow in a closed in basement. It's cool, not damp and stays about 55-60 degrees during this hot summer in Washington state. I only have two large plants and 6 six-week old clones. I have ordered neem oil and spinosad and paid for overnight shipping but I'd sure like to know what I'm dealing with and if either of two things will kill those suckers.

There is a picture and those six longer white things on the lowest leaf of the picture are the maggots. Sorry I couldn't get a better one. But you can see the leaves are almost see through. Any one here know what they are?

White_hairy_maggots.JPG

Might be Thripes.

I found one leaf set today that had what I thought were tiny white spots on it. It was almost entirely covered. I cut it and was shocked at what I found. There were minuscule see through dots where something had eaten the meaty underside of the leaves but the top membrane of the leaf was still there. When you hold it up to the light you could see through the eaten areas but they were not holes and they are not tunnels. If you look at leaf miner damage you can see the damage they do are like one big long tunnel These are not tunnels-they're tiny spots where the leaf has been bitten from underneath. Pretty much the whole underside of three leaves had been eaten and had little white dots.

On the underside of the leaf I found these tiny, white hairy maggot looking things. They're not even the length of an eyelash. I looked through a jeweler's loupe and I could see they had gray/white hairs all around and had a tiny black dot on one end like a maggot. The hairs are so fine you cannot see them with the naked eye-only a 10x magnification jeweler's loupe. I don't like calling them maggots because it is not fly larvae. I used to trout fish with maggots and I know what they look like when freshly hatched. These are so much smaller than that and fly maggots do not have hairs on them.

I also found a few thrips when I was looking through my plants. I know the caterpillar/maggot things are not thrip larvae because I looked at images of the larvae online. So I know I have at least two problems. Thrips and leaf miners??? I cannot find what these hairy worm-like caterpillar/maggot things might be.

I have an indoor grow in a closed in basement. It's cool, not damp and stays about 55-60 degrees during this hot summer in Washington state. I only have two large plants and 6 six-week old clones. I have ordered neem oil and spinosad and paid for overnight shipping but I'd sure like to know what I'm dealing with and if either of two things will kill those suckers.

There is a picture and those six longer white things on the lowest leaf of the picture are the maggots. Sorry I couldn't get a better one. But you can see the leaves are almost see through. Any one here know what they are?

White_hairy_maggots.JPG

Back
Top Bottom