Transplanting Help

OldSkoool

Ok, first grow, and I screwed up by not transplanting into larger pots when my babies were in wee started cups. Yesterday I found one of my two plants was a male (sob), at 11 weeks (1 week of flower cycle), I found it was becoming root bound in the 6" pot. I still have one very promising female in the same size pot, and now realize I'll have to transplant it now that it's beginning to flower.

What I'm asking is can I transplant during this critical time without shocking it into hermie? Also, any other tips you fine people might make would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

OldSkoool

Obviously you now know you should have transplanted sooner. But thats part of the learning process, trust me, you will not make the same mistake again next time. Transplanting should be done in the veg. stage becuase root growth is faster during this time and during flowering the plant wants to concentrate more on budding and less on creating roots and new growth.

I would transplant as soon as possible. If the root ball has consumed the entire amount of soil in the small pot, simply turn the pot upside down while using the other hand to catch the root ball as the plant slides out of the pot. Transplant to a larger pot with drainage holes in the bottom and use pleanty of quality soil. DO NOT pack the soil down, rather tap the pot on the ground as you fill it. This will make it so there is alot of soil in the pot but not too compact for the roots to expand. Once you are done transplanting feed them heavily to stimulate growth.

Also, once a month you will need to flush the larger pots with just water to remove salt build up in the soil. This is done by adding water to the soil until it leaks out the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. Then fertilize them with your normal ferts. at 50% strength.

RooRman, thanks for responding, I'll know next time for sure. Thanks alsofor the advice regarding the steps necessary for a successful transplant, even though I was aware of the procedure from past non herb pot growing, and follow up care, I'm sure other readers will certainly benefit from your excellent advice.....I'm just praying I don't scare her into a crossdresser:cheesygrinsmiley:

Having it turn hermie on you, if it does, will most likely be the result of stressing the plant with no male around for it to pollinate, and not anything to do with the late transplanting. The plants always want to pollinate and make seeds, that is their intended goal in the lifecycle of the plant. Sometimes, the lower more undeveloped nodes go male to try and pollinate the plant. You just have to watch them closely and remove any and all male growth if it occurs.

However, I have grown 3-4 times and never seen a female plant form male parts and go hermie so I imagine it is a rare occurance. Females generally stay all female as long as you treat them right and have NO light leaking into your room during the plant's dark period.

Nope, no light thanks to learning from all the information I've been able to gather from you fine folks over the past few months, and the great reads supplied by Urdedpal. In retrospect, I shoulda thought about this before toking up before the first transplant..again, thanks

OldSkoool

Back
Top Bottom