Two plug Timer, only ONE light lights up and the other later on? any help?

Darkshade1980

got a question for ya... have you ever used a timer that has two ports ( two female plugs) and utilized a 400 watt MH and a 600 Watt HPS both being plugged into the timer and heres my prob.... only the MH 400W comes on then after about one our or more the HPS 600W comes on finally but when i unplug the 600 WAtt Hps and plug it Back in it comes on right away...? any ideas ...

Re: Two plug Timer, only ONE light lights up and the other later on? any help?...

Well let's see.

1.) if you plug lights into separate outlets do they work?

2.) What amperage is the time clock?

first thought, most likely wrong......

The timer isn't allowing enough power to come through to let both lights FIRE up. Only after the larger bulb has been on enough to heat up to FIRE, then it works. The 600 is coming back on, because it is hot enough for it to fire.

I'd replace the timer, or get a second one and put the lights on different timers.

ahhh your right TWO people mentioend exactly what you had commented on. i basically took the one timer out...well here ill start so you can "see" it in your head as i describe the plug outlet... and multiple plug thing lol sorry. you know what im tlaking about its a plug strip with like 5 or 6 outlets on it which in turn plugs into a single wall outlet...andhow i had the timer on that 5 plug strip.... and the two lights plugged into the timer so when the lights went out last night i turned the powerstrip off quick (after going through what i was gonna change in my head) and then unplugged the strip from the outlet plug.... then plugged the timer into the outlet..... then plugged the power strip into the timer...so its only using ONE plug... i know i know i dont thinkk changing it up like that will matter BUT we shall see in exactly 3 hours from now. EST time. 11AM.

so then i plugged the two lights into the powerstrip and of course remembered to turn the powerstrip button on so power is going to it. the only difference is that its backwards or what not or the two plugs from the lights arent in the timer itself and the power strip is only using one timer outlet... and the light plugs are in the strip...so ill update eventually... i think it is a "current" thing or amperage thing... definitly if the MHalide 400W comes on right away and the 600 HPS doesnt then when i unplug the HPS and plug it back in it fires up right away.... at least thats what i think. sooooo we shall see as i previously stated. thanks for your thoughts and comments!. much appreciated!. .... if theres any difference or and change, negative or positive in the new setup i just made last night in the plugs being switched/changed ill comment about it later on or when i find out what occurs at 11AM.

and yesreplacing the timer is a great idea but id rather try to see what this newer setup does first.. i dont have another timer with 2 outlets... and never have had one before BUT using two seperate timers is a good idea, thanx again! ill def utilize two diff. timers if this method/new idea doesnt work. was thinking of replacing a breaker and the 120 voltage to 220..perhaps the voltage would be better or work out better for 2 lights on one timer for 220V?...BUT thatd be alotta work for a small amount of light or setup... lol.... very (stoner like) idea.... sorry had to addd that it is kinda funny if you think about making a 220 dedicated ciruit for only a HPS and MH plus changing out the plugs for 220 and all the "middleman" wiring stuff is quite amusing for all that

and yesreplacing the timer is a great idea but id rather try to see what this newer setup does first.. i dont have another timer with 2 outlets... and never have had one before BUT using two seperate timers is a good idea, thanx again! ill def utilize two diff. timers if this method/new idea doesnt work. was thinking of replacing a breaker and the 120 voltage to 220..perhaps the voltage would be better or work out better for 2 lights on one timer for 220V?...BUT thatd be alotta work for a small amount of light or setup... lol.... very (stoner like) idea.... sorry had to addd that it is kinda funny if you think about making a 220 dedicated ciruit for only a HPS and MH plus changing out the plugs for 220 and all the "middleman" wiring stuff is quite amusing for all that

Well your problem sounds like amperage. Increasing voltage will lower amperage. But that is a little premature. In fact that would be a waste of money and still might not solve the issue. In fact could be very dangerous. Tell me about the time clock. :thumb:

its just your regular timer. i have to wait for another hour or so 11AM to go downstairs n look at the particulars of the make and model of the timer for you to tell you more :) sorry but for now i have no more info on what its history is. bought it at that store called "Ollies (good n Cheap) lol!! maybe thats the PROBLEM!.... well they actually have chill stuff... portable airconditioners for a fraction of the price than at places like sears or big name brand stores. funny some people i dont think realize that with portable airconditioners there is a HUGE difference as in there are some that arent even air conditioners at all. only air Collers lol. mainly ones without compressors. when someone thinks theyre gettin a good deal for a room port. aicond. for 225 and the others they see are 380 or 465...thats cuz the more pricey ones are actual Conditioners with compressors...and not just ones that have the outside look of an aircond. with a reservoir for water. kinda crazy how in the fine print thats the only place where it explains its not an AC unit.. but only a air cooler. anyhow i will be posting ASAP once 11AM comes on. like i mentioned we shall see if my new setup or combination will work instead withthe plugs being on the powerstrip instead of the timer on the powerstrip

I would venture to say this time clock is the issue. I have seen some in Wal-Mart for $6.00. To calculate your amperage take wattage devide by voltage. Ensure you don't over amp your device. Check lights at same time in diffent plugs to ensure that they are both working and not cycling.

yeah thanx for the suggestion, oh damn forgot to answer your one important Q.... yeah i have attempted to plug it (600HPS Lumatek) into a different plug and it comes on right away...so thats not the prob (the light or ballast) and i had another Q . i was thinking since my 400MH is a anaologue ballast ( regular not electronic) and my 600 W HPS is an electronic i wonder if that has anything to do with the problem of having them both in one timer together...??.... any thoughts on that ... cuz that is how the lights are.. one regular ballast and one electronic...

Those are what are called core and coil ballasts. There is no problem running them on the same circuit. That should not interfere with each other at all.

yeah i forgot the term Core ballasts.. heh....either way ive never had a prob. with them as well. but i figured since using a dual timer for the first tiem that may be a problem. thats all....be on in about 30 minutes with update. thanx for tha help so far.

OK! figured it out.... what i reconfigured worked.... dunno why but it did... so when unplugging the two light plugs from the dual timer and putting them on the power strip...then plugging the timer into the outlet plug .... and having the power strip coming from the timer using only ONE plug in the dual timer they both come on at the same time err fire up at the same exact time, much much better and different i mean NEW... :) thanx for all the help, ideas, comments, suggestions...seems as the idea of switching and using only one plug in the dual timer worked out for the best.

wierd JUST when a problem arises and then i fix it..i noticed on the only one budding/flowering the Fruit auto that i had three *tiny* red spider mites...ive NEVER encountered them before in an indoor setting BUt always outdoors.... been doing outdoors for 9 years but the past 3 i hadnt done anything and forgot how prevalent they are ( mites) anyhow i have no money till this wednesday...and i went accross the street to mylocal Organics/hydro store which just opened up last year... heres the strange timing... ten minutes before me .... a guy walked in handing the employeee over a box of FREE samples ofhis new line of spider mite and insect Organic/natural pesticide sprays!!! maazing i told the guy in the store " i have no money now...and youve known me comming here for 4 months now... please can you spot me something to kill these things" and he said " your in luck... a guy just walked in with samples of his new line" ...and so the dude gave me 3 FREE spray bottles of his new stuff... funny story.. and coincidence. so anyhow i HATE the fact that i gotta spray tri-chromes with any type of bug killer/spray/pesticide...so i got it over with but right after cutting a small bud off to see what the actualy tate and smell would be like..:) *grin* anyhow .... i guess i lucked outi found the problem or source plant of the mites .... eradicated them (if his new stuff/spray works) and then put it in some slight darkness with some light..not totally under the grow light (as per say every pesticide must go through* so im gonna wait till dark as well, plus i saw a few little black mites running around a few other plants so i sprayed those... im really bummed ive never exp. them b4 in an indoor setting i guess they got in somehow or from my backyard...perhaps contaminated soil but i never brought in any soil from outside cept for getting sand in the back yard for the Peyote Cacti i ordered from the U.K. overseas.....im guessing that could be the source the sand from my backyard....... sorry for the rant just had to type this shit out n get it offa my chest. any comments or suggestions lemme know dude. thanx for reading n being around.

Most hardware store light timers are woefully inadequate for controlling 1kw of light, even if their rating is sufficient. Those things are built a-million-a-minute in some third world country with non-existant qualty control. I've seen many of these melt while controlling power within their rating (melt bad). Unless you want your grow to be a training exercise for your local fire and police departments, I would consider popping for a quality made industrial timer......

Agreed! Personally I use intermatic single throw mechanical time clocks. The arn't as fancy but I won't ever have to replace it.

Agreed! Personally I use intermatic single throw mechanical time clocks. The arn't as fancy but I won't ever have to replace it.

Same thing I use...almost bulletproof!

As long as you do not loosen the center screw. Plus you can step up to a double throw and control Other important items.... A Little time will save a lot of heartache and expense.

they are "industrial" looking and hardcore. ive installed quite a few at high schools and for parking lot lights to come on. own an electrical company

Back
Top Bottom