Two Tons Of Hashish Seized

Wilbur

Customs services have seized up to two tons of Kif in Bir Irg Ighidi, 450 km northeast of frontier town of Tindouf , on Thursday. The seized quantity is over 8 billion centimes worth. Customs Direction said smugglers left their goods and run away at the place called al-Ark.

According to a statement issued by the General Direction of Customs, the operation was successfully carried out Thursday afternoon. The seized quantity was coming from Morocco underlined the statement. It was carried on two Toyota Station vehicles, which had been tracked by the Customs officers. The smugglers run off leaving their goods which was seized as well as the runners' vehicles and some mobile phones including Thuraya satellite phones used to facilitate communication between the contrabandists.

Official sources say the tracking is still in progress noting it is a hard operation due to the geographical feature of the area. The same sources said Customs, Gendarmerie and Army joint forces are taking part in the tracking operation. Experts in struggle against drugs assume that the seized quantity's moon-cursers were waiting phone calls from other smugglers operating in northern Algeria who was to distribute the "merchandise".

On other part, sources affirm 310 drug runners are wanted; warrants of arrest have been issued against them by Algerian justice. Security services have yet succeeded to apprehend 2549 drug contrabandists and 4964 cannabis consumers in 2005. The same services are suspecting 85 foreigners of smuggling drugs. The figure includes European and binational Algerians as well. Figures for 2006 are still not available.

Morocco is considered as the first "exporter" of hashish and cannabis towards Algeria, especially as Moroccan authorities have failed to cut off hash culture estimated at 70 000 hectares.

Newshawk: User - 420 Magazine
Source: El Khabar
Pubdate: 22 December 2006
Copyright: 2006 El Khabar

What a waste. I'd be happy with a handful myself. :cheesygrinsmiley: I remember when I was a kid in 70's I was on a train from Portland to Los Angelos and I met up with some kids who had a pound of Moroccan hashish. We found a unlocked empty sleeper car and hot boxed it all night long. It was my first hash experience and was so enjoyable that I've been a hash connoisseur ever since.lol

Back
Top Bottom