U.S. - Bill Would Allow Farmers to Grow Hemp

Hash

Salem, OR. - The Oregon Senate's committee on Environment and Land Use heard testimony Wednesday on a bill that would allow the production of industrial hemp. Supporters of the bill say letting farmers grow hemp would bolster the state's agriculture community.

Senator Floyd Prozanski, a Eugene Democrat, originally proposed a bill to allow industrial hemp production in 1997. He noted that hemp can be used to make everything from lip balm to clothing.

Floyd Prozanski: You'll see various different types of products that have been used with industrial hemp. And just to keep in memory throughout this process, when we're talking about industrial hemp we are talking about rope and we are not talking about dope.

Opponents say hemp is not an economically sound crop and allowing production of it would open the door to legalizing marijuana. The committee is set to vote on the bill Friday.

Source: Oregon Public Broadcasting
Copyright: 2005, OPB
Website: https://www.publicbroadcasting.net/opb/news.newsmain

"Economically sound crop"-- bullshit perhaps?

This Oregon politician and his committe haven't done their homework. Our northern neighbors in Canada, in another bold experiment, legalized hemp in the late 90's.

Farmers started producing the crop, 5 years later most stopped producing because, plain and simple, they weren't making money. So is this politician doing this for the economy's and the farmers' sakes? Well, it's probably gonna bite him in the ass cause FARMERS, for the most part, are astute businesspeople and they WILL do their homework. So, anyone have any idea what special interest this guy is pandering to? (hmmmm.. you think?)

"Opponents say hemp is not an economically sound crop." And if the shoe fits, wear it. Must they have a bold experiment at the (OR) taxpayers' expense?

I don't really care, it's their nickel.

OR "You can tell a politician, but you can't tell 'em much." :icon_cool

if we legalized the growing of hemp we could easily make paper. this would cut down the amount of trees wasted on making paper.

Northern Lights said:
if we legalized the growing of hemp we could easily make paper. this would cut down the amount of trees wasted on making paper.

"Re: U.S. - Bill Would Allow Farmers to Grow Hemp".. so fucking what?

That's a good thought Mr. NL. We could make paper. We'd have to weigh the costs of hemp grown, harvested, shipped, processed, packaged, marketed, and shipped to retail outlets or other end-users. Weigh it against the lumber industry as a renewable resouce management industry and I don't think the market will bear the extra costs of reinventing the wheel basically.

I read a market analysis on the existing hemp market in the US and the article stated that 6 medium farms could produce all of the hemp currently consumed or hemp products produced within the US.

Now if Oregon corners the market, power to them. This is what happened when Canada tried it.. nothing. Again I ask, who are the special interests (6 farms? I think not.) this politician is pandering to. How's that sound?

Simply my opinion, that's all. A man once told me..

"Opinions are like assholes.. everybody's got one." :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom