Ugh! Another lighting question

addision

I know these questions have been asked before, but I still can't seem to find the answer to my question. I keep going from one thread to another because each thread answers part of my question, and forget where the last thread was.

I am going to have a 10wx12Lx8h' veg area air conditioned with a humidifier.

Do I use the same 50 watt/sq ft. calculation i have read of regardless which lighting system I choose for veg? (cfl, flouro, mh, led)

Or do I use a different watt per sq. ft. for each different type of light source. I am trying to compare how many lights I would need, for each type of light. For example if i decided to use cfl's how many would I need for complete coverage and how many watts and/or lumens are suitable.

The if I decided to compare that to the mh light how many lights of how many watts and/or lumens would I need etc.

I know there are other considerations such as heat and height. But right now I am just trying to peg down the light comparison.

Any help will be appreciated.

That was great help!

Now one more question. I see from that chart that one 400 watt HID is equitable to 10-54 watt (540 watts) t5's. I also see that the HID 400 watt covers about 25 sq/ft, whereas they recommend a 432 watt t5 setup for 24 sq/ft.

So if I read this correctly it would actually cost more in electrical use for using the t5 setup ( not including cooling). But does the HID setup include the wattage for the ballast?

It appears that other than cooling considerations the two are equitable as far as initial cost and usage cost because you need more of the t5's to cover the same area. If I am looking at this wrong can someone let me know.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom