using spring water hydroponics

mdg132

Hi, I live next to a river that is spring fed. The water is crystal clear, it has a ph of 6.40 ppm 420. While I was kayaking down it today I thought maybe this would be better to use then my city water? I am getting ready to harvest with in the next couple of weeks, so I will be starting new plant soon. Has anyone tried using water from a spring for hydro? Is there a benefit in using spring water? Any thoughts would be helpful.Thanks

I don't see any major benefits over Distilled or RO water other than the cost being free.

This water may lack some minerals that normal tap water commonly has, so in using the Spring water, Distilled, or RO, I would suggest using nutrients that will provide your plant with the Calcium, Magnesium, and Iron that it needs, especially if growing in Coco, or using an LED grow light.

Thanks for the response, I am most worried about the 420 ppm because this river has hay and alfa fields growing right next to it. I am afraid of contamination of pesticides herbisides. Im not sure if they are used but I dont want to be smoking them if they are. I am going to try the water on one of my plants with nutrients and see.Also going to try to fine out if the water quality is check by state officals.
I know i could have done a better job wording my post. Thanks for th response!

Well if you use the water, you're going to have to carry it back all the time, is it really worth it? And if there's a chance of chemical pesticides being used, I wouldn't want to risk it myself. You're growing medicine that you're going to put into your body you want to be sure you don't risk using water with bad chemicals in it. So checking with officials on the water quality is a cool start, but you also want to ask yourself if doing so could put your grow in jeopardy, if growing isn't currently legal there.
You can just as easily use tap water, or rain water if you happen to have a cool rain collection system going on.

I use rain water. No chemicals added to it and I know it's history. You don't know what sewage or chemicals etc are being leaked into that water source.

I checked with the state and got what i belive was a honest answer. Indeed tthere are pesticides and a high nitragion levels below the head springs. However at the head spring the water would be very beneficial to plant growth. But I am going to make a device to catch rain water. th conversation with the state was very informative. Didn't expect that. thanks for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom