Utah Mormons Clash With Church Over Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

For several years, Utah Sen. Mark Madsen has labored over a bill to legalize medical marijuana. The only major obstacle has been his religion.

A survivor of an accidental opioid overdose, Madsen has become one of Utah's most outspoken advocates for medical cannabis legislation. Madesen would eventually help author Senate Bill 73, which would effectively make Utah the 24th state to legalize medical marijuana.

He is also a practicing Mormon, which may seem as a conflict given the church's anti-marijuana stance.

Madsen is just one of a number of growing Mormons who support medical marijuana legislation despite their faith, according to a report from the Influence.

"I have absolute faith, but I have stewardship to the people who elected me," Madsen said to the Influence. "I don't believe it's the government's business to tell people what they can take into their bodies. It's not the government's business to tell you what state of mind to be in."

In a statement released Feb. 22, the Mormon church offered their stance on marijuana, which worries more about its addictive qualities rather than helping patients in need.

According to the church:

"In our view, the issue for the Utah Legislature is how to enable the use of marijuana extracts to help people who are now suffering, without increasing the likelihood of misuse at a time when drug abuse in the United States is at epidemic proportions, especially among youth. Recent changes to SB 73 are a substantial improvement."

Despite the church's negative approach towards medical cannabis, a majority of Mormons are making up their own minds. According to a Utah Policy poll, the state is 60 percent Mormon, as well as 64 percent in favor of medical marijuana.

"I was struggling with the church as it was," said Allison Easley, a devout Utah Mormon, to the Influence. "But this has pushed me to want to leave for good. My health, being able to take care of my eight children, being able to walk, play, be a wife–none of this can happen if I'm in pain and addicted to opiates."

Despite Madsen's efforts, SB 73 was defeated on Monday in the Utah legislature, of which 80 percent of its members belong to the Mormon church.

"Each is affected by the position of the church to different degrees," said Connor Boyack, a supporter of SB 73 and president of a libertarian think tank based out of Utah, to the Influence. "Some will do whatever they ask without question, while others consider the church's statement as they would any other organization, focusing instead on representing their constituents."

mark_madsen.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Utah Mormons Clash With Church Over Medical Marijuana
Author: Oscar Pascual
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom