Venting location

SirGrowAlot

I have read a couple threads saying that when venting your grow tent (or closet) that you cannot simply dump the air into your house..they have said that it needs to go outside.. i read that it could cause mold growth and other things..
Is this true? is it absolutely necessary to send it outside? or would it be fine venting to your house?

Thank You in advance for input

It should be ok to dump the exhausted air into ur home if u dont mind the smell..

if u have the carbon filter then the smell shudnt be that bad should it?

Let's start by identifying what we are dealing with.

:scratchinghead:
HEAT
HUMIDITY
SMELL

Heat can effect the interior of your home in ways I don't think need much explanation. Comfort for the most part. In some climates it makes no sense to add to the heat or cooling load. So normally it is exhausted from the structure. If you feel the heat is an advantage or not an issue then it is not a deciding factor. In the winter it is more viable and beneficial.

Humidity will make it feel warmer than it is and release excess moisture into the entire structure. In extreme cases it can cause mold or damage to fine wood furniture and the like. This will also cause additional load to your home A/C if that be the case. Equaling higher costs. In the winter it is more viable and beneficial.

Smell should be #1, I dont want a skunk living in my house, not that I mind so much but the looks on peoples faces when it hits them head on, priceless!. Keep it discrete no matter where you are, that's my advice.

OK I will put this into a real world picture for you. In my GrowRoom I have a dual system sort of. I can exhaust 100% outside or inside as I see fit to tailor as I desire. This has it's advantage and no disadvantages that I can relate. I like the flexibility of such designs, simple but capable. Some refer to that config as a lung room. I heat and control a common area that is thermostat controlled with its own passive intake. Then there is the flower room that has its own system drawing air from the lung room. Check my build and feel free to ask questions.

You've just been K.I.S.S.'d :geek:

I run my warm garden air through a carbon filter and dump it into my house. This save me on heating costs for my house and doesn't produce a plume of hot air going outside that someone might see.

I run my warm garden air through a carbon filter and dump it into my house. This save me on heating costs for my house and doesn't produce a plume of hot air going outside that someone might see.

This is a good idea but wut about the summer time? Doesnt it get kinda warm in ur house thus requiring more work for the a/c?

No problem there till summer comes, I do the same in my grow room but switch back to full exhaust outside as the temps rise. If you wish to hide the heat signature, put it where one is expected. A chimney, a dryer vent, sewer vent, etc...

I have read a couple threads saying that when venting your grow tent (or closet) that you cannot simply dump the air into your house..they have said that it needs to go outside.. i read that it could cause mold growth and other things..
Is this true? is it absolutely necessary to send it outside? or would it be fine venting to your house?

Thank You in advance for input
no

Thanks for the clarification guys... THis was alot of help

well the problem with dumping it out a window is that there is a high chance someone will notice the array of heat coming out...

I too dump my exhaust to the putside world but its not noticable cus its a box in a shed

well the problem with dumping it out a window is that there is a high chance someone will notice the array of heat coming out...

I preach discretion at all times, no matter if legal or not. No one needs unwanted interests. The probability of someone detecting the exhaust is too high for my taste. Main reason it is an unnatural occurrence. Put it where it draws little or the least attention or the potential to. That would be like planting next to your water or gas meter. Nah, just a matter of time before someone picks up on it. Then the horse is out of the barn and it's too late. As we are talking about smell, let's also keep in mind a cover smell is not so natural either. Even ozone has a tell tale scent or lack of if you will. To me it's an electronic smell I have associated with old style TVs and such. The smell of high voltage. Address the issue relative to the environment as well.

In my neck of the woods skunk is an everyday occurrence, if it isn't pigs.
Which way does the wind blow in relationship to the vent and the problem as well. Don't dump it in an alley or between houses or the like.
:cheesygrinsmiley:

true I live where no neighbors or alleys in back where my grow room is.I didn't want to put holes in my walls,So I put it next to my window.I have blinds, sheet, tarp covering my window too.You can't see or hear anything outside.

again, it depends on your set up.
i know that if the outside vent is tall enough noone will smell it! personal experience.
the mold thing is usually contributed to high humidity and lack of circulation, all winter i have no exhaust to the outside. the circulation fans are never turned off! ever!! i do open windows every now and then!!! but just for a few minutes. people going in and out brings in new air, just not as efficeint.
peace

again, it depends on your set up.
i know that if the outside vent is tall enough noone will smell it! personal experience.
the mold thing is usually contributed to high humidity and lack of circulation, all winter i have no exhaust to the outside. the circulation fans are never turned off! ever!! i do open windows every now and then!!! but just for a few minutes. people going in and out brings in new air, just not as efficeint.
peace

Please be aware that an exhaust stack no matter how tall is still subject to air currents. We all know hot air rises. So it's effectiveness is dependent on temp. Such as your hot water heater is producing an exhaust that propels itself. The temps of your grow are not high enough, hence we use fans to push. So back to the point, if the air current shifts just right you will detect it. I have seen this so many times in my careers with ill installed vent pipes and exhaust systems. Example you are on a sloping hill side, as the sun sets and the heat of the day falls away you can get a down draft like you may have never seen. With lets say a fireplace the worse case is some smoke back into the house. Same logic why we prime a flu before lighting a fire. But due to the fact it is very hot it doesn't take much to be effective. Usually one installs a stack to be tall enough that nothing in a 15' circle should be taller than it is. It should extend at least 3' more than anything within that circle. Else you are asking for down draft problems. But this is not so relative to a fan powered exhaust. What is relative is the push of air bringing the smell back into human territory. I am not at all concerned with backdraft on a powered vent except when the system is off.

Perhaps a little more than needed but I wanted you to have a relative idea of how it works. Once that air leaves the vent, it falls after so many feet as it cools. Dissipates after that.

side note:
Dude I love the name, big Camaro Fan here. My first was a 67. Yep I am that old... Of course none of them were or are stock...

hm
i have always seen the air and its properties disapate it to a point thats its not a concern. that being said im not talkin a huge grow. small well cared for gardens have the best possibility of surviving and causing the least problems.

Back
Top Bottom