Vermont: Lawmakers Meet To Discuss Marijuana Legalization Bill

Jacob Redmond

A group of Vermont Senators are skipping the debate over whether to legalize marijuana and heading straight to the debate over how.

Lawmakers have a number of scheduled meetings before the legislature returns in January to discuss legalization.

While there may be growing consensus in favor of legalization, even proponents don't agree on how that should be done.

Lawmakers met Tuesday to discuss what could the stickiest social issue of the legislative session set to resume in January: recreational marijuana legalization.

Government Operations Committee Chairwoman Sen. Jeanette White, D-Windham County, hopes to crowdsource the best regulatory ideas to streamline debate later.

"We're working on crafting a bill and all five members may sign on, or all five members may not," said White.

White says the bill will not allow for edible products outside of medical dispensaries. But many elements remain undecided like whether to limit the number of retail outlets, or even allow for a pot lounge.

"We see a market open to any Vermonter who wants to participate, where home-growers, craft-growers and large grow operations are integrated together to meet demand," said Bill Lofy, Gov. Peter Shumlin's former Chief of Staff.

Lofy spoke on behalf of the Vermont Cannabis Collaborative. He contends the right balance of regulations can meet the state's demand for 50,000 pounds a year, while preventing big business from dominating the market.

While legislators have downplayed revenue as a consideration, Lofy says the financial impact of legal weed could be substantial.

"Vermont has an opportunity to create a thriving new economy based on our values and our traditions," said Lofy.

Others made their case for minimal regulations and argued the state needs to consider more than just whether someone has cannabis in their system before labelling that person as a danger behind the wheel.

"I smoked this morning before I drove," said Fran Janik. Do I seem like I'm disoriented, uh probably not, little nervous maybe."

Most of Tuesday's testimony came from pro-pot speakers, but not everyone in the audience is on-board.

Catherine Antley, a physcian, says the potential health effects of legal pot are her biggest concern.

"Legalization will increase use and that the taxes that will be collected won't be adequate to cover the cost to society," said Antley.

White says she'll leave the question of should the state legalize marijuana to the judiciary committee.

Her proposal will likely call for possession to become legal after if and when it passes the legislature, and receives the Governor's signature.

Legalized retail sale though likely wouldn't arrive until a year later.

15932.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Vermont Lawmakers Meet To Discuss Marijuana Legalization Bill
Author: Kyle Midura
Photo Credit: The Associated Press

Back
Top Bottom