Viper..

Pinch

Saw this and found it interesting..

VIPER

1930s hipsters who frequented tea pads and smoked jive; onomatopoeic from ssssssssst, the sound made by an inhaling pot-smoker

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

Circa the 1940s and '50s, a term for a roach-holder fashioned from a matchbook cover.

DOOBIE

A 1960s and '70s term for joint; the word originated on the baby-boomer kiddy show Romper Room, where the good children were called "good Do-Bes."

ALICE B. TOKLAS

The lesbian lover of Gertrude Stein and a good friend of Pablo Picasso, she had a recipe for killer marijuana brownies.

MEZZ

Marijuana; from Mezz Mezzrow, the legendary jazzman and Harlem pot-dealer who turned on Louis Armstrong and other jazz greats during the 1930s.

MUGGLES

1930s and '40s slang for pot.

TEA PAD

In Harlem in the '30s and '40s, an after-hours club where pot was smoked and jazz music performed.

:peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:

I don't think I understand what you are talking about.

If I understand correctly,it means 1930's potheads were sometimes called vipers because the sound of someone takin a hit sounds something like a snake hissing.

Ah, I didn't know what onomonopoeic ment.

awesome post.... nice history lesson there

I get it after your Edit Pinch, I dig it man. Cool information. I like the Jeffersons air plane one, because I love the white rabbit.

I had to look it up too.

onomatopoeic.
on·o·mat·o·poe·ia ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-mt-p, -mät-)
n.
The formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Late Latin, from Greek onomatopoii, from onomatopoios, coiner of names : onoma, onomat-, name; see n-men- in Indo-European Roots + poiein, to make; see kwei-2 in Indo-European Roots.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ono·mato·poeic or ono·mato·po·etic (-p-tk) adj.
ono·mato·poei·cal·ly or ono·mato·po·eti·cal·ly adv.

Glad to hear they still teach literature... :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom