Walmart Fires Michigan Man For Using Medical Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Fired For Using Medical Marijuana

MI - New surveys are finding more and more people in favor of legalizing marijuana, with even some police officers saying it's just a matter of time.

In 1969 a Gallup poll found only twelve percent of people thought pot should be legal. A similar poll conducted in 2009 found that number jump to 44 percent.

In November of 2008, 67 percent of Michigan voters said marijuana should be legal for medical purposes and Michigan became the 14th state in the country to approve medical marijuana.

However, there's still been plenty of confusion about when, and where those approved to smoke marijuana can actually do so.

In Battle Creek, a cancer patient recently lost his job for using marijuana that he had been cleared to use.

Joe Casias has been battling sinus cancer for ten years, but the chronic pain had gotten so bad that Casias decided to try medical marijuana, it was a decision that cost Casias his job.

“I worked there for five years and did everything I could possibly do for them,” said Casias.

Wal-Mart was Casias' life. During his five years at the Battle Creek store, he racked up award after award, including Associate of the Year.

“I never went to work under the influence of pot,” said Casias. “I was always focused 100 percent on the job at hand.”

However, in the blink of an eye, that job was gone.

“I was called into the office and was terminated because I failed my drug screen for medical marijuana,” said Casias.

The State of Michigan says Casias is allowed to use medical marijuana, and issued him a card, but Wal-Mart won't budge.

“I feel strongly that I was wrongfully terminated,” said Casias.

Newschannel 3 asked Wal-Mart for a comment, they wouldn't go on camera, but did send a response.

“In a state such as Michigan, an employer can still enforce a policy that requires a termination of an employee following a positive screen.”

John Targowski is a Kalamazoo attorney who has put the state's medical marijuana laws to the test, however he doesn't see much hope in Casias' case.

“If a workplace has a ban on all drugs under federal law, they may not be protected,” said Targowski. “I want to be optimistic, but several state courts have not granted medical marijuana users the right to have a job.”

Casias says he plans to continue fighting.

“If a person has a condition, why should they lose their whole lifestyle because of medical marijuana?” said Casias.

Newschannel 3 asked Casias, if he could choose between medical marijuana or Wal-Mart, which would he pick. Casias said Wal-Mart.

Casias is still looking for an attorney who will take his case.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3 : Grand Rapids, Battle Creek and Kalamazoo News
Copyright: 2010 Freedom Communications
Website: Fired for using medical marijuana | margin, bottom, mich - Top Stories - WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Now that medical marijuana is legal in Michigan, can an employer fire a worker who tests positive for the drug?

WalMart says it can, so it did. "I was terminated because I failed a drug screening," says former WalMart employee Joseph Casias.

In 2008, Casias was the Associate Of The Year at the WalMart store in Battle Creek, despite suffering from sinus cancer and an inoperable brain tumor.

At his doctor's recommendation, Casias says he legally uses medical marijuana to ease his pain.

"It helps tremendously," he says. "I only use it to stop the pain. To make me feel more comfortable and active as a person."

During his five years at WalMart, Casias says he went to work every day, determined to be the best.

"I gave them everything," he says. "110 percent every day. Anything they asked me to do I did. More than they asked me to do. 12 to 14 hours a day."

But last November, Casias sprained his knee at work. Marijuana was detected in his system during the routine drug screening that follows all workplace injuries. Casias showed WalMart managers his state medical marijuana card, but he was fired anyway.

"I was told they do not accept or honor my medical marijuana card," says Casias.

In an e-mail from headquarters, WalMart spokesman Greg Rossiter explained the company policy. It states: "In states, such as Michigan, where prescriptions for marijuana can be obtained, an employer can still enforce a policy that requires termination of employment following a positive drug screen. We believe our policy complies with the law and we support decisions based on the policy."

Casias says he never used marijuana before work.

"No, I never came to work under the influence, never," he says. "I don't think it's fair. Because I have a medical condition I can't work and provide for my family?"

Casias has been collecting unemployment compensation since he was fired in November but this week he says he was notified WalMart is challenging his eligibility for benefits.

"It's not fair," he says.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: wzzm13.com
Author: Phil Dawson Christa Graban
Copyright: 2010 wzzm13.com
Website: Walmart fires Michigan man for using medical marijuana | wzzm13.com | Grand Rapids, MI

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Re: Fired For Using Medical Marijuana

I don't understand how they could fire a person that has a prescription for mmj.
It should be treated just as any other prescriptions. Federal law or not. I think anyone reading this should boycott wal-mart. I'll bet if you investigate all wal-mart worker's you would be surprised what some of them take each and everyday they are on the job. Since nerve pills and pain pills seem to be the norm and accepted. I have a friend that has to take pain pills for a broken back, and quite frankly he can be a little out of it some time. He hates the fact that he doesn't have a choice in how to keep his pain under control. So all I can say is keep up the fight and wish you the best of luck. I hope you can eventually get your job back brother. That just bites. Hopefully one day people in your situation will be able to sue for discrimination.:goodluck:

Re: Fired For Using Medical Marijuana

The sad thing is that wal-mart has one of the highest labor violators out there. They have been sued for locking their employees in the stores overnight and many other violations. The federal government just allowed Washington DC to have medical marijuana. So the federal government basically said yes to medical marijuana... So here is our government protecting big business and screwing the sick and dying people... Like I said, If you as a individual do not vote for a change and get your friends to vote for change, no change well ever happen... SO VOTE ... :peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom