Washington State Pot Regulators Favor Allowing Outdoor Cultivation

Truth Seeker

The regulatory board overseeing marijuana legalization in Washington State is leaning toward allowing licensed growers to raise the drug outdoors, citing the much higher carbon footprint of indoor and greenhouse cultivation, board members said.

The view, which all three members of the Washington State Liquor Control Board told Reuters they shared, represents a reversal from the draft pot industry rules the body issued last month.

"If they can provide the security parameters that we require for indoor or greenhouse, if they can provide for that outdoors, then it's OK with me," board member Ruthann Kurose said, after a public meeting on Wednesday.

Washington and Colorado became the first U.S. states to legalize recreational pot after approval by voters last November, although the use and sale of marijuana remains illegal under federal law. Some 18 states allow pot for medical use.

The shift on cultivation rules underscores the degree to which the Washington State board is taking public feedback to heart, Chairwoman Sharon Foster said, and comes after the Seattle Times cited a 2012 study published in the journal Energy Policy saying that a kilogram of cannabis grown indoors requires the same amount of energy as 11 cross-country car trips.

"We're all willing to keep learning and changing our minds when enough stuff is put in front of us," Foster said.

The next draft of the pot industry rules is due on July 3. The board will file its official rules in August and plans to start accepting applications for licenses to grow, process and sell marijuana in September. Retail marijuana stores are expected to open in the state next spring.

While marijuana remains illegal under federal law, it is unclear whether the Obama administration will move to block states from implementing their recreational markets.

On Monday, seven Democratic members of Congress from Washington State sent U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder a letter urging the federal government to respect state law and to quickly announce its intention to do so.

"Further delay will slow the potential for economic advancement and could lead to wasted resources," the letter said.

Woman_Smoking.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: reuters.com
Author: Jonathan Kaminsky

I will be a permanent resident of Washington on the West side, near Tacoma. Is there enough sunshine to grow outside in Washington near Tacoma? I am moving there because I get ripped off constantly in Florida. I have replaced 5 of the meds I was on with Mj. I can't go back to taking those medicines again, they nearly killed me. Please tell me that I will be able to produce my meds with no problem. I have risked everything in my life for this move. I would much rather give my taxes to a free state than a police state like Florida. Florida and Virginia are the worst. Virginia because of the taxes. Florida because they do everything they can to get you wrapped up in some kind of State imposed program. We hate Florida! No wonder it's called God's waiting room, the only reason to go there is to die or get incarcerated. So far I have avoided both so time to leave. 2 years was enough.

Yeah florida can bite my ass too. I did 18 months is STATE PRISON and am now a convicted violent felon for pushing a cop (who wanted to come into my house without a warrant) who didn't even fall over.

Those pictures above in my last post are very close to Tacoma. They were started indoors under lights but the same could be done with a small greenhouse. Out of sight, out of mind. Have another peek,

Well Wildweed, I feel your pain. I am so aggravated by stories like yours I could... Well who cares what I could do? I see these cops literally break peoples arms kicking in doors and stuff. They never get even written up. Put your hand up in fear and the asshole cop charges you with resisting arrest. And then they wonder why they or their loved one got cancer!!! A cop that does what was done to you further separates the civilians from the gestapo and trust me it is a gestapo here in Florida. Your plants are the bomb! I can't wait to get some White Widow back in the ground!!! Good luck to you man. Stay away from Florida, even the people suck who live here. We only made one friend here in 2 years, all others? Acquaintances. The pot dealers want 250 a half oz! Ridiculous! Northwest, here we come.

I used to tell people that "I moved back to Washington State where at least they just shoot you and get it over with" but we don't have that problem anymore. I was born and raised here and the people won't put up with civil rights violations in the pacific northwest like they do in the southern states. And remember you can't generalize people because they live in a state. My Mom and Sibs all live in fl and are way cool. They live in a beach area (Gulf Breeze) and the man is more lenient of the almighty dollar. If you live in the city in an apartment they have less than zero respect. Where I live now I doubt a cop would even try to open my gate. I sleep real well at night knowing my property is safe and no one can sneak up on me :) By the way, most everyone up here is growing indoors. I think you can click on my name to the left and browse my photo gallery.

You are right wildweed, it was an ignorant statement. I do not get out enough to make a generalization like that. I apologize. I have heard so many stories like yours, it makes me wonder what the heck we got ourselves into down here. I meant no disrespect. I just have not been lucky enough to meet anyone that did not want to oppress me somehow here in the sunshine state. Sorry for the blanket statement, I am trying to stop thinking that way. Peace

ok, I've been here since 2011 like yourself but because I don't post a lot (they want 50 posts) I can't PM ya. Nice. I was just going to ask if you had ever been this way, how did you choose this area? You can probably pm me the response, however idk. Oh yeah and also not to worry I didn't get anything negative from your statement probably because I have been there and know exactly what you meant. We are all products of our environment :)

Back
Top Bottom