What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

Wow this was one of the longest threads I have seen. But thats cause it is so awesome!!!

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I have just started a grow for the first time. It is indoor, hydro, 1000w from clone...thats where the problems started... But since I have been on here and one other site for the past several months I knew what I was looking at as far as the problems. I was real happy I could tell exactly what the problem was. My new clones were not too healthy and had bugs. I read about how to get rid of the bugs. Now bugs are gone. PH was too high now that is fixed. Plants now showing new growth.

Thanks to all.

this is great advice thank you. im a first time grower and started out with pineapple express and bubba kush from g-13 labs. i started in a dwc but after much reading i think i might put the clones in sub cools super soil mix. gotta love the possibilities and fun.

:bigtoke:

ive been on here since 09. started in 08 after breaking my back.
these people on 420 taught me how to grow. anytime i asked a question. it was usually answered by many. i learned so much i also grow bell peppers, peppermint,and ripe vine tomatoes. what ever i want.
id like to help people, like they helped me. thankx 420

and what's good about growing, is you always learn something. so the next one is better.:thanks:

Newby here,I left plants in Veg state to long Vs my grow space keep in mind, then my plants ran out of room,well real close to, get the best light, so (Let wipe my eyes) I had to eliminate some of my girls for the best lighting, that's what i get for not doing my homework hope this help someone!!! got to get back to school. Merry Christmas

As a reminder, please do NOT quote, discuss, or otherwise post replies concerning obvious spambot garbage posts.

Instead, click the Report Post button in the offending post, which will allow you to enter a short message to the staff so that you can inform them that action needs to be taken.

Thank you.

As a reminder, please do NOT quote, discuss, or otherwise post replies concerning obvious spambot garbage posts.

Instead, click the Report Post button in the offending post, which will allow you to enter a short message to the staff so that you can inform them that action needs to be taken.

Thank you.

Great post TorturedSoul!! +reps for doing what I should've done a couple weeks ago:thumb: I've been repoorting post on here several times(again today), and the first time I forgot about that icon (never had to use it:) ) But the holidays have folks spamming ridiculously. Great idea to remind us all on how to report spammed post. :thanks:

BEFORE YOU BUY SEEDS!!!!! be sure they are reputable seed seller by them through a sponsor ect so you don't get F_C_ED, BUNKED I know some that did I don't wan't to mention My name.Chock it up as experience. Ignorance=lack of knowledge.1 more, do your homework here,start here research here YouTube don't buy things you don't need or are to big to small, not enough ,to much,wrong shit don't be cheap you get what you pay for Hortilux HPS bulb $55-65.OO versus $20.00 NO NAME BULB GOT IT. go through the motions 1st then act and your mistakes will less, instead of a bad lesson. peace out:)

good read i got alot from it. my grow is in the 3rdweek of budding and i have these small popcorn buds,is that normal? i mean there ALOT of buds way more than i had expected but they are real small with alot of white hairs but im not really seeing much of the sugery stuff. i have no idea what the strain is,they were bag seeds so im in the dark there.but will the buds get bigger as time go's on?

Some of the stuff you posted is wrong, germinating seeds don't die if you touch them i do it every time i grow and no problem. And a good beginner tip for fertilizing is compost, it's a good nutrient source i think.

how far away should you keep a 20W CFL tube light away from a 3 week old seedling ? my plant looks like its getting bushier but it isnt growing in height at all . its probily 3 inches and i keep the light about 2 inches above it so it can hopefully strech for light . i water only when the soil is dry and keep the light on for 24 hrs until im ready to switch to the 12/12 cycle . plant looks nice and green and when i rub my finger against the stem it smells really dank . any advice on what i should do to make it grow a little taller ? or will it grow eventually ? i posted a few pictures below so some feedback would be nice

get-attachment_1_.jpg

get-attachment.jpg

:tokin:

your plant looks great remember 1/4 strength fert till you see how she reacts then up,but it looks like you got off to a great start ,remember be patient :)

Q. How often should you water?
Once a week or once every two week for soil and twice a day with a hydroponic flood and drain system.
*When top 2 inches of the soil dry out.* Occasionally provide periods of extra dry and wet soil.
*Allow 10% extra water to drain out of the bottom of the tray.* This will prevent toxic fertilizer build up.

QUOTE is from the 'how often should you water question in the following thread

What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

Only info for soil grows

Watering once every 7 - 14 days is absurd for soil grows unless you are pumping them full of nutes every watering. Under-watering is nearly just as dangerous as over watering cannabis plants and although they are very resilient and will take much abuse, they will not reward you for it.

Watering should be done when the top inch of the growing medium (soil) are dry to the touch, not bone dry as this is under-watering. What happens if you go past that? The growing medium becomes dehydrated which means that rather than accepting the moisture you are offering it neglects it and means that the first 25% you apply run across the top and down the sides, then out the bottom (The % you are meant to let run through) without even saying hello to the roots. What does water do? PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE!!! So why penetrate dry growing medium when you can just run down the sides of the pots?

This is ALL EASILY ELIMINATED BY :

-Water in regular intervals, once you understand your plants requirements, it takes a lot of over watering to get root rot and it's easy to solve by transplanting into dry growing medium after root trimming, however, it doesn't take much to waste time and money on nutes and water.

- Nutes should be only applied in a strict pattern to be useful and always to the plants needs. If this is kept to, plants never need to be flushed.

(I've seen a 16 year old asparagus mother that was more like a bush, living in a 2 litre plastic pot that had never been flushed but still supplied 100+ babies a month)

If for instance, you knew exactly (or approx) what nutes your plant needed, say in a month, then you could divide that by how many watering's you needed in that month.

So, hypothetically you came to the calculation that you need to water 8 times in a month. Then you portion your nutes to be applied 4 times in a monthly period, thus feeding every second watering meaning the frequent watering / feeding cuts out any flood or drought scenario and lowers plant stress since they like regularity. In the end it means that the watering with no feed acts as a mini wash eliminating salt build up and also helps the plant to use up any stored or built-up nutes. ultimately saving you money and time on expensive nutes.

And we all know time is money these days ;).

Back
Top Bottom