What are the negatives to Feminized seeds?

o2much4me

Know the advantages but what I don't know is how they feminize seeds, how do the seed companies do it?
Is there more hermaphrodites?
I can clone but was wandering the negatives of feminized seeds...

Thanks
o2much4me

Was reading & it makes me believe that there is much more of a chance for hermaphrodites. The article is older & was wondering if still true

Know the advantages but what I don't know is how they feminize seeds, how do the seed companies do it?
Is there more hermaphrodites?
I can clone but was wandering the negatives of feminized seeds...

Thanks

o2much4me

different seed companys use different methods, some use male flowers that develope on female plants at the end of the females life. i think soma used this method and even wrote an article on it.

another way is to use female clone that donot produce male flowers. this clone is then sprayed with silverthiosulphate (STS). this female is then put into flower, in two to 3 weeks male flowers will develope. the resulting pollen is then applied to other females that donot produce male flowers. four weeks later the seeds are ripe and ready to harvest. this method greatly reduces to chance of hermies, and is the best method in my opinion, based on my own experience.

i've never had a hermie problem with my own homade feminized seed. i've been making my own fem seeds for at least 8 years. i don't sell seeds.

as far as i know the only negative of feminized seeds is the higher cost.

a person is likely to get hermies with standard seeds, as far as more hermies from boughten feminized seeds depends on what seed company you buy from.

many years ago i was given commercially produced fem seed and i had a few hermies but the ones than did not hermie were really good plants , i clone them and grew them for years.

i don't feel comfortable recomending a seed company to buy from as i haven't bough fem seed from any.

STS is real easy to make and use, a search will give you the directions. or i could post my instructions.

good luck what wever way to choose to do.

Excellent answer wheat berry. That confirms some of what I knew or though& taught me additional about the STS.
I would love to learn more about your successful method of using the STS & your controlled pollination method(s). If you have a favorite place to purchase the STS that would be cool too.
Thank you very much-

there may be places selling sts, never bought it so you might do some research before buying some ready made, and the were charging and arm and a leg last i saw was $ 60 for 2oz.

Making Silver thiosulphate - STS
you will need scales, 2 glass bottles ,i use mason jars and distilled or RO water.
silver nitrate .5 gm dissolved in .5 liter of distilled water or RO water . use glass bottles. label this solution " A "

mix 2 gms of sodium thiosulphate into .5 liter of disted water or RO water. label this bottle "B".

these are your stock solutions, save in refridgerator in paper sacks to keep out light, for future use. your stock solutions should last at least 6 months or longer.

store the remaining silver nitrate in a dark glass bottle in a fridge or freezer for a long working life.

to mix a working solution pour equal amounts of solution A into an equal amount of B, then add 9 times as much distelled or RO water.

example - i measure 1 oz of solution A pour it into my spray bottle then i measure 1 oz of solution B and pour it very quickly into solution A which is in the spray bottle then i add 9 oz's of distilled or RO water to the spray bottle. now you have 11 oz's of silverthiosulphate.

now its ready to spray the female clones that you want to use to produce pollen. after spraying the clones with STS put them straight into 12/12. in several weeks you will see male flowers forming.

sodium thiosulphate can be bought at most pet stores , they use it to remove chlorine from tap water for aquariums. look at the label before buying.

silver nitrate can be bought at online photographic supply stores , i don't like to put their name out for all to see.

can i just pm you the place i bought the silver nitrate from? they hate publicity on cannabis sites and could be charged with conspiracy to manufacture if the government wanted to pursue it.

i can't figure out how to pm yet, if that function is available?

silver nitrate is easy to make also , you need pure silver ,nitric acid and a glass evaporating dish.

DO NOT buy buy silver nitrate and sodium thiosulphate at the same time, it tips them off that you are not using them for photographic purposes.

the female plant will produce what look like female buds only they consist of male flowers, you may need to use tweezers to pull off open male flowers and put in a test tube or on a mirror to collect the pollen then apply with a small brush.

i've been meaning to make some more feminized seeds soon . i'll try to remember to take pics and post the whole procedure. i'm slow so give me some time.

homade fem seed are great for outdoor grows, no males and less visits to the site.

good luck

fem seeds were good about 3 to 4 years ago, now there starting to diminish in quality and herming out badly.. reserva og has a bad hermie trait to it as only one of 6 came out normal, green house seeds are good and wont hermie but there are tons of phenos in there seeds and is hard to find a keeper. my next purchase will be some seeds from alphakronic, cali connectio, and i may try thoes gdp seeds from ken. but im buying all regular seeds. cuz id rather have male and female plants then a female that herms out around the 3rd to 4th week of flower... also if you ever get into breeding never use feminized seeds..

fem seeds were good about 3 to 4 years ago, now there starting to diminish in quality and herming out badly.. reserva og has a bad hermie trait to it as only one of 6 came out normal, green house seeds are good and wont hermie but there are tons of phenos in there seeds and is hard to find a keeper. my next purchase will be some seeds from alphakronic, cali connectio, and i may try thoes gdp seeds from ken. but im buying all regular seeds. cuz id rather have male and female plants then a female that herms out around the 3rd to 4th week of flower... also if you ever get into breeding never use feminized seeds..

i don't want to argue, but alot of people selling feminized seeds are poorly educated and greedy and lack the knowledge to properly produce feminized seed.

i would love to discuss this with hyb/ exelite, vichigh, suzycremecheese among others.

Trunk 5 you have experience with commercial cannabis seeds company's , do you have book knowledge? the two should go together.

Trunk 5 study plant breeding and i think you will change your mind.

Telepod , i paraphrase you here , " what diseade is it that causes people who great knowledge about cannabis, to delete yhe posts !" i deleted one awsome post chatting to exe on breeding of course.......

i can give you the true answer. its not so much p...but it reveals who we are inside.its a start....

thanks Trunk, you gave a chance to connect or remind others of the past............

i had a whole crop of cali connections larry og kush hermie AND autoflower after 6 wks of veg. lots of hermie reports on their gear

Yes, I too have had BAD experience with Cali and they won't respond/don't give a $hit... Out of 40 seeds (10 each of 4 diff. strains), ALL the plants looked the same and were supposed to be completely different AND 39 turned Hermie once into flowering 3 weeks. I couldn't believe that Cali had such $hit and would never use their seeds again. It was not anything I did to stress them because the seeds were grown by 3 different growers and we all shared our experience.

Thanks wheatberry & everyone.
I tend to agree with you wheatberry
I wonder if there is a way to find out different seed companies particular technics on how each feminize their seeds??

This (feminization) is something I want to practice with as I believe practical experience good & bad is my best teacher. When I have ordered seeds or picked up seeds from seed banks I haven't had a issue. They matched the genetics described. I guess in general it is good to practice both controlled pollination & feminization in my personal goals.
Thanks again wheatberry for the response, this was an area that I crave knowledge & experience....

I'm sure there are some seed companies that have hopped on the wagon & are crappy--- good to hear feedback on them as well....

Hey wheatberry any suggested reading for me? I have had Robert Clarke's Marijuana Botany since it came out...

o2much4me

Back
Top Bottom