What else do I need to be ready to bubble

newbiegrow420

Hello all I am here with a list of things to start my first Deep Water Culture grow. I am finishing up a soil grow and got about 2 weeks left. I learned alot during the grow and doing research to make my next grow better. I am going to list what I have to get setup and I'm wondering if there is anything I should get or need to check into before I get setup. What am I missing that I will need or should pick up. This is a list of things I have and are going to get so here goes

Lights(hid)
exhaust fan
Tubs
power strip
timers
air pump
air stones
submerged water pump
irrigation hub
tubing
net pots
rockwool
hydroton
ph meter
ph up and down
calibration solution
nutrients(thinking GH but undecided)
covers for seedlings
oscilating fan

What else could I use or need. I have a 3ftx2ftx7ft grow space and the walls are already flat white so no need for mylar or panda film. Is there anything I'm missing?
tubing

a digital thermometer which reads humidty and temperature they have them at walmart for like 8 bucks. Also, maybe some kind of spray bottle to mist some water on the plants, they seem to like that alot.

thanks yeah I do need a combo temp/humidity All I had for the first was a thermometer and a cigar humidity thing for humidity needless to say it sucked. And I forgot to list my spray bottle.

If smell is going to be an issue? If soo look into building or buying a carbon filter. Also styrofoam bowls make great net-pot covers (thanks roseman). Oh and one more thing, Hydrogen peroxide, lots and lots of hydrogen peroxide, Goodluck with the setup

The smell should be good I will be venting into an attic and the door is pretty much sealed up with weather stripping it is at least light tight. Now I have seen people talking about food grade peroxide but I am not sure when to use and how often. What I have gotten is that its for correcting problems right? But if I will have to use it I will get a bottle. Thanks

I just use regular H202 found at any rite-aid or drug store. I use it once a week, 2tsp per gallon of water to keep problems at bay and 3tsp per gallon to fix algea/bacteria problems. That is By far the best advice i have read from this forum and i feel inclined to spread it to anybody just starting out, H202 saved my plants more than once. Its only a few bones for a bottle so its not a expensive investment

I just use regular H202 found at any rite-aid or drug store. I use it once a week, 2tsp per gallon of water to keep problems at bay and 3tsp per gallon to fix algea/bacteria problems. That is By far the best advice i have read from this forum and i feel inclined to spread it to anybody just starting out, H202 saved my plants more than once. Its only a few bones for a bottle so its not a bad investment

H202 Is that just plain old hydrogen peroxide? If I get some I want it to be right. I don't have rite aid but got walgreens so I think I should be ok. I am going to try and be proactive and use dark tubing for airlines and spray paint the outside to make it more light tight to reduce the dreaded algae. I know temps affect it too I just need to find out optimum temps for reservoir

i think the optimum res temps are from 64-72. I may be wrong so dont quote me on it. But yeah just plain ol hydrogen peroxide man. walgreens should have it, if not just about any grocery store will. If the tub is light tight, black airlines, good res temps and H202 mixed in the water, you shouldnt ever have algea problems.

Here is a suggestion list, I may of lited something twice, by mistake.

Surge Protectors
Extension cords.
Twistie ties
5 gallon bucket
Trash can or a large trash bags for trash.
Chain to hang my lights on,

a Camera, Reflective Material of Mylar or white paint or panda film, or white plastic sheets like they use for garbage bags, 2 sided tape to hang the mylar,
a hammer, two screw drivers, flat and phillips,
a box of extra large thumb tacks,
a roll of duct tape, a roll of masking tape,
a dozen extra large twistie ties, large scissors,
a black magic marker, small scissors, a razor knife, wire cutters, two clean empty plastic gallon water jugs, a clean quart jar, a large collander, a tea strainer, a straightened wire clothes hanger, a can of pressurized air, needle nose pliers, regular pliers, wire cutters, a measuring cup, a Tablespoon measuring spoon, clean water, seeds, nutrients, lights, pH UP and Down, reflectors, a syphon hose made for aquariums, 24 feet of small cheap chain to hang lights and reflectors from, a large trash can, trash bags, vacumn cleaner, oscilating fan, styrafoam saucers to make lid covers, fishing weights or something to hold down the air stones,
sun glasses and a cap to wear so the lights don't blind you, a good Grow Bible (a book), a notebook and ink pen to take notes and make a daily diary journal, pH test strips, or a pH meter, grow cups, rockwool, hydroton, water pump, air pump, air stones, 1/4 inch plastic tubing, ODOR CONTROL, at least two oscilating fans, a good Pesticide, Large Spray Bottle, and the Reservoir TANKS.

Temps and Humidity In Deep Water Culture

I have most of the stuff you listed roseman but it is a good reference point I was just wondering what is the tea strainer for. I can see other things to clean the hydroton and having a jar to do ph testing but not sure why a tea strainer. Is that for some kind of nute tea or something.

I have most of the stuff you listed roseman but it is a good reference point I was just wondering what is the tea strainer for. I can see other things to clean the hydroton and having a jar to do ph testing but not sure why a tea strainer. Is that for some kind of nute tea or something.

I used powdered SH nutes. They had bone meal and seashells and all kinds of stuff in them that don't disolve. So after I stir them in a jar, I pour them through the teas strainer to hunt and find the undisolved particles.

I also use it as a scoop to skim the top of my water, to skim off dead parts of roots.

I used powdered SH nutes. They had bone meal and seashells and all kinds of stuff in them that don't disolve. So after I stir them in a jar, I pour them through the teas strainer to hunt and find the undisolved particles.

I also use it as a scoop to skim the top of my water, to skim off dead parts of roots.

Oh ok I thought I saw you use a kitchen strainer in your tutorial but it makes sense now

And thanks mike for the temps I just read the temps sticky I must have just went by it it seems like some shit right under nose and you can't see it so thanks.

Also roseman I think you might have givin me an Idea about nutes. You say the powder is for cfl's because its a little weaker I am wondering if I use HID lights in combo with weaker nutes I won't run as high of a risk of over feeding. Which is usaully happens to us newbie growers. But I'm not sure I'm thinking of trying GH just cause it seems simple but so does the powder. I guess something to mull over for the next few days. I just want a quality plant to get as close to full potential as possible for my first hydro experience. I do want to use something good and easy for newbies like me

I think the liquid nutes might be even more simple. Might cost more too, I am not sure.

I did 7 and half grows with those SH powdered nutes and I have no complaints.

BUT, from here on out, I will used liquid Advanced Nutrients, for their ease of use, ease to measure and they really help control pH spikes.

Back
Top Bottom