What is a GFCI and who needs it?

GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. You will most commonly fine them in bathrooms and kitchens.

GFCI_Rec.gif

It is not a fuse or breaker or current limiting device of any kind.

Simply put, it can save your life.

How?

This is a GFCI in normal operation.

GFCI1.gif

You can see that the hot and neutral go thru the sensing transormer. You can also see the contacts that hot circuit must travel thru.

This is a GFCI in "ground fault detected" operation.

GFCI2.gif

When a "ground fault" occurs, even at miniscule amounts, the hot circuit is opened.

What is a ground fault?

Lets say that as you are working in your growroom when the lights are on, you touch the metal reflector hood. If there is the slightest short in the bulb socket or any other part of the light assembly, a small (or large) amount of current may flow thru you to ground. This is called a "ground fault".

Ground faults kill hundreds of people a year.

They are found in bathrooms and kitchens because the potential for water or moisture is much greater in these areas, and water is a much better ground conductor than your Chuck Taylors.

Is there a greater potential for water in your growroom than your hall closet?

If you answered yes, than you have just answered the question "who needs it?" That would be you.

If you do not have GFCI's protecting ALL of your growroom circuits, please consider installing them. They can and will save your ass!

Great post HD!
When I upgraded the drop on my home the main reason was so I could install gfci breakers for outdoor outlets but it was a huge weight off my shoulders to install the two 20 amp gfci circuits that power my room.
It's alot better to come in after one has tripped to just see the power off instead of fire or an electricution nightmare. In three years they have tripped twice.
Also, the gfci outlets and power strips are good but not 100% reliable. For total assurance, install the gfci at the breaker. The breakers are typically expensive but $50 for a saved life and home is money well spent. :peace:

For total assurance, install the gfci at the breaker. The breakers are typically expensive but $50 for a saved life and home is money well spent. :peace:

Excellent point OB! :)

Back
Top Bottom