What went wrong in the end?

Schnitzy

420 Member
First time grower without any previous experience. I’ve found a seed on one of the buds I’ve had previously bought and decided to give it a go.

I would understand if it was in the vegetative state that my plant would run on problems due to lack of nutrients and inadequate setup I was using until Ive decided to go “all in” but somehow I managed to overcome all the issues in the early phase.

Everything went well until about last 2 weeks of flower; buds stopped getting fat and it was mostly a shitton of new leaves coming out rather than focusing on the bud growth. The end result were airy, thin leaves and a very small yield.

Setup and nutrients:

60x60x180cm growbox

Mars Hydro II 400W

In/Out Vent with Carbon filters

Nutrients in the flower:

Hesi Bloom

Hesi Boost

Hesi PowerZyme

SuperVit

Phosphorus Plus

I did have problems maintaining nightly temps and humidity where temps ranging from 15-24 degrees celsius and humidity ranging from 45-70% but with everything used, there still shouldnt have been such a bad yield.

Last pic isnt mine but thats exactly what my buds look like.

44392064-03E2-47EF-98F8-03738BCB1938.jpeg

8CE49AB0-B0BE-4A9D-A735-64EE4C094A1C.jpeg

98D49762-4B3A-432E-BF8C-879EC5849EE7.jpeg

6F01380E-FB3A-41DC-94DF-B5798043AF92.jpeg

6FE66D2C-71A1-41E0-AA01-8DC50705EE9C.jpeg

D0465505-84D5-41FB-81C9-C1D8D0B90284.jpeg

50DF6800-1277-4A23-881F-124DF07BA81F.jpeg

2D09116E-0E5B-4D47-88C2-46AB50BE1873.jpeg

68691F55-E4F9-4E22-AD3E-93BC81AE6852.jpeg

4B9094A8-E665-4FA9-82E2-705077A178AF.jpeg

First time grower without any previous experience. I’ve found a seed on one of the buds I’ve had previously bought and decided to give it a go.

I would understand if it was in the vegetative state that my plant would run on problems due to lack of nutrients and inadequate setup I was using until Ive decided to go “all in” but somehow I managed to overcome all the issues in the early phase.

Everything went well until about last 2 weeks of flower; buds stopped getting fat and it was mostly a shitton of new leaves coming out rather than focusing on the bud growth. The end result were airy, thin leaves and a very small yield.

Setup and nutrients:

60x60x180cm growbox

Mars Hydro II 400W

In/Out Vent with Carbon filters

Nutrients in the flower:

Hesi Bloom

Hesi Boost

Hesi PowerZyme

SuperVit

Phosphorus Plus

I did have problems maintaining nightly temps and humidity where temps ranging from 15-24 degrees celsius and humidity ranging from 45-70% but with everything used, there still shouldnt have been such a bad yield.

Last pic isnt mine but thats exactly what my buds look like.

44392064-03E2-47EF-98F8-03738BCB1938.jpeg

8CE49AB0-B0BE-4A9D-A735-64EE4C094A1C.jpeg

98D49762-4B3A-432E-BF8C-879EC5849EE7.jpeg

6F01380E-FB3A-41DC-94DF-B5798043AF92.jpeg

6FE66D2C-71A1-41E0-AA01-8DC50705EE9C.jpeg

D0465505-84D5-41FB-81C9-C1D8D0B90284.jpeg

50DF6800-1277-4A23-881F-124DF07BA81F.jpeg

2D09116E-0E5B-4D47-88C2-46AB50BE1873.jpeg

68691F55-E4F9-4E22-AD3E-93BC81AE6852.jpeg

4B9094A8-E665-4FA9-82E2-705077A178AF.jpeg
Beautiful girl my friend terrific work you did to her.
There are several possibilities for your bud issues.
Temperature and air flow are key but there are lots of other factors.
Just plain genetics could be a cause. Did you get her from a seed company or bag seed. Proper nutrition also helps.
Also how did you determine when to harvest. The last 2 weeks are vital to bud growth. How were trichomes and pistols when you harvested. Was she finished? Ive had issues in the past and how they are handled effects harvest.
All that being said dam that plant looked great and I would expect a decent pull from her. Even if we provide the perfect environment genetics and nature are going to be key from the start. Hope that helps answer your question.
Have you got a new garden going? If you have a journal we can assist when needed and give tips along the way. Oh and your lighting will have a major effect on your buds. A good strong light is important, whats the actual wattage? And is there a chance there was a light leak somewhere at the end. Light during darkness will make them reveg and stop flowing.
Happy growing friend.

Almost sounds like it went back into veg for some reason, but she looks good
Was thinking the same but there simply wasnt that much shock done to her for something like that apart from some big pruning in weeks 1 and 3. It all went well until pistils started to turn orange very soon and the newly clouded trichomes started going amber incredibly fast (basically at week 4-5).

Was thinking the same but there simply wasnt that much shock done to her for something like that apart from some big pruning in weeks 1 and 3. It all went well until pistils started to turn orange very soon and the newly clouded trichomes started going amber incredibly fast (basically at week 4-5).
You did pretty good for your first grow man. Very good I’d say! That smoke looks ok. Growing the funk is a learning process, I suggest you find a strain you really like and keep growing clones of that. That way you learn what she likes and don’t like. Experiment with different feeding schedules and whatnot. There are some plants you pretty much can’t mess up and then there’s also plants that no matter what you do it’s going to be wonky. I just recently got into breeding and hunting plants for parents is pretty fun...very tricky sometimes.

Beautiful girl my friend terrific work you did to her.
There are several possibilities for your bud issues.
Temperature and air flow are key but there are lots of other factors.
Just plain genetics could be a cause. Did you get her from a seed company or bag seed. Proper nutrition also helps.
Also how did you determine when to harvest. The last 2 weeks are vital to bud growth. How were trichomes and pistols when you harvested. Was she finished? Ive had issues in the past and how they are handled effects harvest.
All that being said dam that plant looked great and I would expect a decent pull from her. Even if we provide the perfect environment genetics and nature are going to be key from the start. Hope that helps answer your question.
Have you got a new garden going? If you have a journal we can assist when needed and give tips along the way. Oh and your lighting will have a major effect on your buds. A good strong light is important, whats the actual wattage? And is there a chance there was a light leak somewhere at the end. Light during darkness will make them reveg and stop flowing.
Happy growing friend.
Thanks for the info, bro, appreciate the good will!

Tent is 60x60x180 and the lights are Mars Hydro II 400W so its near perfect for the setup. I made sure to buy the best available fans and filters knowing the importance of it.
I never got the seed from official sellers but it came out of the cheap weed I bought off a local dealer. Most likely it is some wildling.
As for deciding when to harvest, I used microscope to check both pistils/trychomes and waited until 10-20% of them were amber (I ignored trychomes on leaves but rather focused on buds).
Its almost as if it went to shit in the last 2 weeks right when it was about to get fat and dense.

You did pretty good for your first grow man. Very good I’d say! That smoke looks ok. Growing the funk is a learning process, I suggest you find a strain you really like and keep growing clones of that. That way you learn what she likes and don’t like. Experiment with different feeding schedules and whatnot. There are some plants you pretty much can’t mess up and then there’s also plants that no matter what you do it’s going to be wonky. I just recently got into breeding and hunting plants for parents is pretty fun...very tricky sometimes.
Thanks bro. Breeding is the next step I want to achieve but before that I want to completely understand the growth process. I didnt want investing time and money into getting good seeds if Im just going to ruin it with my inexperience. But this time, theres 5 seeds of Gorilla Glue awaiting delivery ;)

Thanks for the info, bro, appreciate the good will!

Tent is 60x60x180 and the lights are Mars Hydro II 400W so its near perfect for the setup. I made sure to buy the best available fans and filters knowing the importance of it.
I never got the seed from official sellers but it came out of the cheap weed I bought off a local dealer. Most likely it is some wildling.
As for deciding when to harvest, I used microscope to check both pistils/trychomes and waited until 10-20% of them were amber (I ignored trychomes on leaves but rather focused on buds).
Its almost as if it went to shit in the last 2 weeks right when it was about to get fat and dense.
Thats the difference in genetics and bag seed. I made that mistake once. neveragain. When you are putting 4 months work and everything went well and equipment is top notch, leaves one glaring issue. Bag seed . It looks appealing but growing pot from anything other than good genetics is a total crap shoot at best Our sponsors have fantastic choices for your seeds. I highly recommend using them. When you work that hard you deserve a good harvest.

No problemo bro. You have a lot to learn before worrying about breeding brother. And genetics are very important, like I was saying there’s some plants that are next to impossible to mess up, like you can jack them all up and still get great smoke out of em. Lol. You are in the right place! Hit me up if you need anything...
Yeah, l did think it will be more resilient being an indica but apparently its just a bad strain mixed with inexperience to deal properly with it.

Thats the difference in genetics and bag seed. I made that mistake once. neveragain. When you are putting 4 months work and everything went well and equipment is top notch, leaves one glaring issue. Bag seed . It looks appealing but growing pot from anything other than good genetics is a total crap shoot at best Our sponsors have fantastic choices for your seeds. I highly recommend using them. When you work that hard you deserve a good harvest.
You cant be more right man, 4 months of work only to get disappointed in the far end. But Im still extremely happy with everything, this is a whole new world of experience for me and coming out of corporate finance environment, this is such a gamechanger. Hopefully one day I can make legitimate living out of it.

Yeah, l did think it will be more resilient being an indica but apparently its just a bad strain mixed with inexperience to deal properly with it.

You cant be more right man, 4 months of work only to get disappointed in the far end. But Im still extremely happy with everything, this is a whole new world of experience for me and coming out of corporate finance environment, this is such a gamechanger. Hopefully one day I can make legitimate living out of it.
Your pics of that girl were great. You really did a good job on her. I'm sorry about the end result. Get some good seeds and start a journal, you obviously know what your doing. But if we follow along we will be able to help if needed.
Tag me if you get one going @Bill284 and ill follow along by the looks of that girl ill probably learn something. Happy growing my friend.

Back
Top Bottom