When should I switch from veg to bloom?

bsinger

420 Member
I have (6) white fire OG plants currently i am growing in a 4x4x8 Vivosun tent, with (2) Budget Led 250 actual wattage. I have no clue when i should swap my plants. I have heard a lot of different advice but every answer is different, I hope somebody has some advise. This will be my first grow that i have ever done so any advise will help.

Swap?....change....exchange? I stand to learn something here.
Please advise, this is me classed as Well Known Member asking New Member.
Sometimes life gets like that.

A-ha..The penny has dropped, re-reading I get the drift. It's early morn, Tea has awoken me now.

I have (6) white fire OG plants currently i am growing in a 4x4x8 Vivosun tent, with (2) Budget Led 250 actual wattage. I have no clue when i should swap my plants. I have heard a lot of different advice but every answer is different, I hope somebody has some advise. This will be my first grow that i have ever done so any advise will help.
Hiya bsinger.
Nice set up you have, those lights are gonna produce some fine bud for you.

The purpose really is to fill your tent foot print with plant canopy, or light foot print. I think that's why you get different answers.
For example; You can have 1 plant in your 4×4, veg it for three months+ while tying the branches horizontally to fill the tent.
Or, you can have 6 plants in the same space and veg for Say 6 weeks and end up with the same amount of canopy in the 4×4 foot print.
Once you fill the space flip to flower, then usually they double in size vertically (strain dependent ) but you got 8' height , so no problem with height for you hopefully.
So yeah, just about filling tent/light foot print.
Those lights you have should fill a 4×4 perfect, so when your canopy hits wall to wall and you can't see the tent floor so well, time to flip to flower.

Welcome Bsinger,

Nice setup! Yes agree with Listers, we all are limited by the size of the grow space. 1 plant or 4 plants will yield about the same in a 4 X 4 tent. It’s the grow space size or environment causing the limitation. If you cram 12 plants in there they will stay small, they need air space, room to stretch out etc.

Can you drop us a pic with normal daylight lighting? (Not blurple) Also how old are your plants now? Are they photos or autos? Have you topped or trained them? What size are your containers and what medium are you growing in? We need these details to help

It also helps to know the breeders estimated run time for flower cycle when making decisions on flip. For example - if you are running in 1 gallon soil pots - that’s too small of a bucket to run a 12 week flower finish. In this example it would be wise to upcan to a larger container of soil before ever flipping. This is why no one can say precisely when to flip, it’s an educated guess based on many factors.

It would help for you to drop a journal, that way anyone can help. Please read the very first post in my journal below (Visualize World Peas) to see my setup. All my deets are listed.

Those first page details give us a better chance to help you without asking the same stuff over & over. What’s your nutes, what size light? Is it hps or LED? and all that crap,

Welcome to 420, looking forward to your reply!

a) Lights:

Great choice on using @Budget LED panels, and especially the 250w's! Excellent lights, and two vs one big one allows for better tuning across the canopy, IMO.

b) When to flip:

The only person who can make that call is you, but it really isn't difficult once you know the silly little trick to doing so.

First, you want the plants nice and healthy, and growing well. Don't flip plants that are jacked up. It will bring nothing but trouble.

Next, the real key: Flip to flower when the plants are half the size you want them to be when they are done stretching. It really is as simple as that. If the strain is really, really stretchy and is known to stretch 3x instead of 2x, then you would want to flip when it's about 1/3-2/5 of the final desired size. This comes down to strain research before you buy, and knowing (approximately) how much stretch you're going to deal with. An indica will stretch up to 2x, a sativa 3x, and hybrids are anywhere in between. In general, so there can be exceptions.

The unknown variable in this is how the grow is being trained. For example, with typical 2x stretch strains being SCRoG trained, I would weave and weave until about 2/3 of the screen is filled in and then flip. From there you fill in the screen and then let them go vertical. What you're doing there is eating up half the stretch in the net, the other half ends up in the vertical space.

If you were doing something like a flux, manifold, mainline, or other type of horizontal training, a similar principle to the SCRoG still applies: When you've filled 2/3 of your horizontal space, flip em. Then you do as above, and finish out the horizontal space and then let them grow vertical.

With 3x strains, fill about 2/5-1/2 of your horizontal space instead of 2/3 since they will stretch more,

Biggest thing to keep in mind when running multiple strains in the same tent and cycle is to match them up as best you can in terms of: height, stretch potential, and flowering time. You definitely do not want to run some that stretch 2x, and other that stretch 3x. Or even 1.5x and 3x. That's a quick way to end up with a really, really uneven canopy, as well as they will need flipped at different times.

If they are untrained and just growing au naturel, then when they are half the height you want (or 2/5 if a 3x stretch) you flip. I will say if you're indoors and not training, you're leaving harvest on the table.

Hey thanks so much about the advise man

Hiya bsinger.
Nice set up you have, those lights are gonna produce some fine bud for you.

The purpose really is to fill your tent foot print with plant canopy, or light foot print. I think that's why you get different answers.
For example; You can have 1 plant in your 4×4, veg it for three months+ while tying the branches horizontally to fill the tent.
Or, you can have 6 plants in the same space and veg for Say 6 weeks and end up with the same amount of canopy in the 4×4 foot print.
Once you fill the space flip to flower, then usually they double in size vertically (strain dependent ) but you got 8' height , so no problem with height for you hopefully.
So yeah, just about filling tent/light foot print.
Those lights you have should fill a 4×4 perfect, so when your canopy hits wall to wall and you can't see the tent floor so well, time to flip to flower.

Welcome Bsinger,
Nice setup! Yes agree with Listers, we all are limited by the size of the grow space. 1 plant or 4 plants will yield about the same in a 4 X 4 tent. It’s the grow space size or environment causing the limitation. If you cram 12 plants in there they will stay small, they need air space, room to stretch out etc.

Can you drop us a pic with normal daylight lighting? (Not blurple) Also how old are your plants now? Are they photos or autos? Have you topped or trained them? What size are your containers and what medium are you growing in? We need these details to help

It also helps to know the breeders estimated run time for flower cycle when making decisions on flip. For example - if you are running in 1 gallon soil pots - that’s too small of a bucket to run a 12 week flower finish. In this example it would be wise to upcan to a larger container of soil before ever flipping. This is why no one can say precisely when to flip, it’s an educated guess based on many factors.

It would help for you to drop a journal, that way anyone can help. Please read the very first post in my journal below (Visualize World Peas) to see my setup. All my deets are listed.

Those first page details give us a better chance to help you without asking the same stuff over & over. What’s your nutes, what size light? Is it hps or LED? and all that crap,

Welcome to 420, looking forward to your reply!

I have (6) white fire OG plants currently i am growing in a 4x4x8 Vivosun

Hey thanks for helping me man i really appreciate it. I have no clue if they are autos or if they are photo i tried looking it up but didn't have any luck, do you think you could help me with that. i put some photos below to show you whats everything looks like can you tell me how they look? don't be afraid to zoom in and look around this is my first grow. I have been training them with a twine trellis you can see in the picture below. I have not topped them yet but i have trimmed them down to have only 7-10 nodes each plant. early on in their life. the plants are 15 1/2 weeks old. I have 3 gallon pots, I am using fox farm ocean forest soil for each bag of soil i used 1/2 cup of blood meal 1/2 cup of bone meal 1/2 cup kelp meal and 1/2 cup of bat guano. I have realize since then that might have been way to much of the nutrients.

Thanks for taking a few moments to help maybe i will start a journal, that just seems like a lot of work lol.

IMG_7082.jpg
IMG_7088.jpg
IMG_7081.jpg
IMG_7084.jpg
IMG_7085.jpg
IMG_7086.jpg
IMG_7087.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7083.jpg
    IMG_7083.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 64
a) Lights:

Great choice on using @Budget LED panels, and especially the 250w's! Excellent lights, and two vs one big one allows for better tuning across the canopy, IMO.

b) When to flip:

The only person who can make that call is you, but it really isn't difficult once you know the silly little trick to doing so.

First, you want the plants nice and healthy, and growing well. Don't flip plants that are jacked up. It will bring nothing but trouble.

Next, the real key: Flip to flower when the plants are half the size you want them to be when they are done stretching. It really is as simple as that. If the strain is really, really stretchy and is known to stretch 3x instead of 2x, then you would want to flip when it's about 1/3-2/5 of the final desired size. This comes down to strain research before you buy, and knowing (approximately) how much stretch you're going to deal with. An indica will stretch up to 2x, a sativa 3x, and hybrids are anywhere in between. In general, so there can be exceptions.

The unknown variable in this is how the grow is being trained. For example, with typical 2x stretch strains being SCRoG trained, I would weave and weave until about 2/3 of the screen is filled in and then flip. From there you fill in the screen and then let them go vertical. What you're doing there is eating up half the stretch in the net, the other half ends up in the vertical space.

If you were doing something like a flux, manifold, mainline, or other type of horizontal training, a similar principle to the SCRoG still applies: When you've filled 2/3 of your horizontal space, flip em. Then you do as above, and finish out the horizontal space and then let them grow vertical.

With 3x strains, fill about 2/5-1/2 of your horizontal space instead of 2/3 since they will stretch more,

Biggest thing to keep in mind when running multiple strains in the same tent and cycle is to match them up as best you can in terms of: height, stretch potential, and flowering time. You definitely do not want to run some that stretch 2x, and other that stretch 3x. Or even 1.5x and 3x. That's a quick way to end up with a really, really uneven canopy, as well as they will need flipped at different times.

If they are untrained and just growing au naturel, then when they are half the height you want (or 2/5 if a 3x stretch) you flip. I will say if you're indoors and not training, you're leaving harvest on the table.

Hey man its funny that you told me you like the lights, you were the reason i bought them. i put up a post saying i need led help and you helped so much i actually bought them. i spread my plants apart but what you are saying is i should fill the entire horizontal surface first? please take a look at the photos above this and tell me how you think my spread is right now.

Hey man its funny that you told me you like the lights, you were the reason i bought them. i put up a post saying i need led help and you helped so much i actually bought them. i spread my plants apart but what you are saying is i should fill the entire horizontal surface first? please take a look at the photos above this and tell me how you think my spread is right now.
Th3 idea of a scrog is to keep tucking and moving qnd tying down till all the squares are full.
Th3 idea is it helps keep your canopy at the same depth from tge light.

Hey B,

All I can say is - killer job! Your plants look great, you have not overwatered, you’ve got them up and growing, rigged your own scrog. Nice work! Keep tucking as she grows.

White fire OG is an 60/40 indica dominant photoperiod. Estimated flowering time is 60 to 70 days from flip. Breeders typically give early estimates but now you have a reference point.

Do you have nutes? Did you say 3 gallon smart pots and 15 weeks veg already? It might be time to flip along now - since that’s a small container your soil may run out of steam. Seek other opinions on time to flip.

It’s gonna be hard to water each of your plants evenly when scrog fills out. Try to water all the way around the entire plants 360 soaking the soil evenly.

Hardest part is the 20 minutes to setup journal. After that you can post updates if/when you like. If you add journal put all the specifics in your first post, that way anyone can help without asking each time- what’s you nutes? What strain is that? Add info for tent, lights, grow media, fans, nutes etc. Take a look at the first post in my journal for ideas. Visualize Whirrled Peas

Piece of cake - you’ve got this!

So it's better to have 2 plants than 3 in a 4×4 tent...and train.. I have 3 in my 4×4..not really trained..spread a tad and supported..by net... but yes lower buds dont get light..but stilles looking decent a

You could have up to 4 in a 4x4. Or with longer veg time and lots of training you could fill it with one or two. Or SoG is an option if youre seed rich or have a bunch of clones

Hey B,

All I can say is - killer job! Your plants look great, you have not overwatered, you’ve got them up and growing, rigged your own scrog. Nice work! Keep tucking as she grows.

White fire OG is an 60/40 indica dominant photoperiod. Estimated flowering time is 60 to 70 days from flip. Breeders typically give early estimates but now you have a reference point.

Do you have nutes? Did you say 3 gallon smart pots and 15 weeks veg already? It might be time to flip along now - since that’s a small container your soil may run out of steam. Seek other opinions on time to flip.

It’s gonna be hard to water each of your plants evenly when scrog fills out. Try to water all the way around the entire plants 360 soaking the soil evenly.

Hardest part is the 20 minutes to setup journal. After that you can post updates if/when you like. If you add journal put all the specifics in your first post, that way anyone can help without asking each time- what’s you nutes? What strain is that? Add info for tent, lights, grow media, fans, nutes etc. Take a look at the first post in my journal for ideas. Visualize Whirrled Peas

Piece of cake - you’ve got this!
Should i buy a bigger pot? i can replant them in larger pots like a 5 gallon pot. Yes i use age old grow nutrients once i flip i will use age old bloom and i have a finisher that is also from age old, it is called sweet finish.

Depending on light cycle if you have not flipped them yet then yes on upcan. True, most definitely bigger pots would help but then the tent is gonna be a limiting factor having 6 monsters jammed together. My first grow was a single plant done in mainline style (just 2 limbs) trained out. It nearly filled a 4 X 4 by itself, yes there was space all around outer perimeter but pretty much 1 plant filled the tent. Wet yield was 930g & cured out to just over 8 zips

If you could put 2 outside & run 4 in tent it would help on space, don’t know if that’s possible. But yes generally speaking in soil grows - a bigger bucket has greater yield potential

Our plants grow roots in veg but in flower cycle they stop growing new roots & use existing roots to support flower mode. If plants not flipped then you could upcan, veg for 3 more weeks then flip to flower, when you upcan use sterile knife to score rootball. This encourages plant to take over new bucket or hole in the ground more quickly.

Back
Top Bottom