Which is worse - High heat or high humidity?

northernmed

i'm in week 5 of flowering and it's been crazy hot and crazy humid where I live. Had a nice thunderstorm today and humidity here is at 88% outside right now. Needless to say my dehumidifier has been on almost non-stop in my grow tent. This sends temperatures in the tent up to 91F. If I don't have it running in there the humidity jumps up to 65-70% humidity. Even now at night, I'm sitting here keeping an eye on my remote temp gauge and its at 89.6.

I was just reading online that high temps can cause hermies. I've heard also that feminized seeds can go hermie easier than regular seeds. i only have 2/8 plants that are fems.

So how likely is a hermie going to come my way at those temps? It's been that way for at least a week now. No sign of sacs yet but you never know man.

Can't you just duct the air from the tent to a dehumidifier outside the tent and then back into the tent? It may take a bit of fussing, but if you have the compressor operating outside the tent, it won't heat the tent and should actually work as an air conditioner and cool things off, no?

Can't you just duct the air from the tent to a dehumidifier outside the tent and then back into the tent? It may take a bit of fussing, but if you have the compressor operating outside the tent, it won't heat the tent and should actually work as an air conditioner and cool things off, no?

well the machine blows hot air is the problem. the air it puts back into the tent is usually quite warm. the unit itself doesn't really get warm. it's late and maybe im not getting what youre saying lol sorry

well the machine blows hot air is the problem. the air it puts back into the tent is usually quite warm. the unit itself doesn't really get warm. it's late and maybe im not getting what youre saying lol sorry

I have never used a dehumidifier, but my understanding is that it's essentially just an air conditioner. It takes in humid air and blows it over refrigerated coils that simultaneously cool the air and remove the moisture that condenses on the coils, no?

If it's putting out warm air, is there a flap or a duct you can flip that separates the hot air from the compressor from the cold air coming off the cooling coils? It seems like there ought to be a way to do that.

Maybe someone from a swampier locale can explain/clarify/debunk. ;)

nah, my dehumidifier blows hot air to. I got a small one for $30 off the zon. no flap or anything like that. Ill have to check the temp coming out, but if its that big of a deal, you could jimmyrig up a contraption with cardboard, duct tape, and a vent hose it out the area. Im a master jimmyrigger, lol.. Walmart has those air purifiers for $15, buy a house filter for $6, cut it up for new filters, cut a protein powder contain off the bottom, duct tape to the machine on each end, duct tape vent hose. can even tape the carbon filter to them. I use this setup for mine from outside venting INto the tent. Humidity hig today outside, so i just untape from outside vent, and put close to the floor in basement for cool air. Humidity would be 80%, holding steady at 60 now. I also put a small hole into the protein container, that I insert my dyi CO2 hose into, then it just rides the filtered air into the tent. Then at night, just pull the hose out. Plus easy excess to shake the bottle every few hours. Works like a charm.

These little dehumidifiers work, but not like awesomely.

Dehumidifier blows out at 93F, but I have it high up so it doesnt mess with my CO2 as much

humi1.png

day17.png

co21.png

If you have money to spend, ditch the dehumidifier for an ac unit that ducts to a window. Two birds-1 stone. Just empty the water daily.

There is nothing wrong with 90F. Under LED, that's a good temperature to shoot for and perfect for conditions with RH over 40%. If it was drier, I'd be a bit concerned. You'll fight late in flower with RH in the 90s. Lots and lots of air movement and try and get below 70. With all that air you need to move, your co2 efforts are near pointless.

Good luck! Keep us posted

thanks for the input guys. I was thinking the same thing, as I've dealt with bud rot before. I'd rather have heat than high humidity. I actually have a portable ac in that room that's rigged up into the tent now, but fuck, even though it acts as a dehumidifier as well, it doesn't bring it down far enough. So now I have the ac ducted into the tent, and the ac is on a timer. This should work pretty good. the temps are actually a bit low in there right now, gotta figure this timer out. Ancient technology I'm dealing with here. This portable unit is nice because it has intake and a seperate return line that blows the hot air out of the window. The humidifier in the tent just has one vent hole, where everything including the hot air blows out. annoying.

What about the excess heat generated by you light? Do you have air flow that pulls that hot air specifically off of the light and exhausts it?

What about the excess heat generated by you light? Do you have air flow that pulls that hot air specifically off of the light and exhausts it?

yeah i have a fan on top of the tent that is ducted to the cool tube hps reflector and then to a carbon filter. works pretty good, but that dehumidifier just fucks my shit

yeah i have a fan on top of the tent that is ducted to the cool tube hps reflector and then to a carbon filter. works pretty good, but that dehumidifier just fucks my shit

Sounds like you need to ditch that dedanker and get AC. (And the electricity bill climbs ever higher...)

Fortunately, RH around 90 won't hurt you right now. It gives you some time to figure it out. Even at 12/12 from seed/clone, you likely have too many plants in there to be safe. Only advice I have is to try and dial in the climate of your room and see how it unfolds in your tent. If you try and dial in the tent, you'll struggle. Dial in the room the tent sits in. Modify-observe-adjust.... you've got some time and it sounds like you have the tools. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom