Which light, what medium/system and some general info for a complete noob

fenriz

Hi there my good green ppl of the mary-jane jungle.
I'v given a third of my cloths to the salvation army freeing up a closet so that I can start a smal grow for my self.
My space consists of one closet 2*3*6 and one which is 2*1*6.
The closet is in my bedroom so noise is an issue.

So my first question is wich light do u recommend for these spacess the big closet will ofc be used for blooming, and the smal for mothers and veging clones.
I'm thinking 250w or maybee 400w of hps in the 2*3 and fluros in the 2*1?

Second question is ventilation, how big must it be? and how can I make it as quiet as posible? is it posible to use one fan for both my compartments? (they are standing side by side screwed together)
I'm also wondering how big my pasive aire-intake should be and if I coulde use a "hepa-filter" for vacume cleeners as a pre filter or if that may obstuckt the air-flow to much?

Last question is what to grow in, I guess soil is idiot-proff but I'd like to try hydro or aero, anyone want to recomend a good system that would fitt in my space? (I'm thinking about the ghe aerofarm or maybe 3 waterfarms but it's a jungle out there and hard to know what will be the right choice)

that's it for now, hope u can give me some good advice. And if you need any more information feel fre to ask.

Re: which light, what medium/system and som general info for a complete noob

Either of your light choices should work and some 4inch ducting would provide adequate ventilation assuming you can cut 4inch exhaust holes somewhere in your closet. As far as the exhaust fan being quiet I'm not sure how to help you or how you define quiet. I use a 178 cfm Can-fan for a 3x3x6 tent; it's loud in that room but I don't hear anything in my living room. There are fans that advertise as ultra quiet but they're incredibly expensive and I have no experience to compare them to what I use. A hepafilter will work like a hepafilter but if you're going in and out of the closet to work daily they become almost pointless. I won't recommend a hydro/aero set because I don't like them. I like it dirty.

Re: which light, what medium/system and som general info for a complete noob

Thanx for the reply, u make a good point about the hepa filter, think I just will dropp it.
I think for the fan maybee I'll just buy a cheap one and builde an insulated box of mdf for it then the only problem will be the air moving out, maybee a mufler would help?

I was also thinking that if I put the air intake in the botom of the mother chamber and made a hole whit some ducting through the wals to the other cab and have the ventilation run from their that would create negative pressure and adequate air flow for both chambers? if I let the ducting hang down the walls on both sides that wil make it sort of light proof to??

You can run the ducting either way. One strong fan could exhaust both chambers with individual passive intakes. Stronger fan means louder noise. I would avoid using the same air for both chambers however. Mother plants tend to get bugs and different environmental needs are a reality when in bloom or veg. We don't want to pull the humid air from the veg chamber to the bloom chamber unless you have your environment completely in check. I hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by letting the ducting hang to make it lightproof. No help from me on that one. Light proofing will be criticle for your bloom chamber though. Check out some of the ideas others have come up with.

Do It Yourself

Try to find member JJ Bones. He runs an equipment shop and is generally available here to answer questions. He would also know technical specs better than me.

Thanx again for good input, I get ure point about keeping the two chambers as seperate as posible. Stil think I'm gona try to do only one ventilation first and maybe get a T pice and another filter later on. Wil it make a difrence if i pul the air the other way? from the bloom chamber to the veg/mother??

I think i got the sound proofing coverd, gona soundproof the entire cab, and also build an insulated box for the fan. I also gona run a fancontroler and a silencer hoping that wil bring the noice down to about 23db which is the noicefloor of my apartment.

I'm greatful for your and anyone elses time and inputt, hoping to be redy to grow in mid january and harvesting befor 420 :)

I haven't done the math to see how big a fan you'll need but you can make it work with the one. The T duct would work great. Maybe set it up so the one fan is exhausting through your filter into the room.

You sound like a handy person. Think about documenting your project and posting it for others. It will likely get you a little more traffic and then people more knowledgable than myself will start chiming in. There's a lot of stoner wrench heads on this site. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom