Why do you think it's illegal?

zombiE

Well, we all know it's illegal to possess or sell in the U.S. The question is, why? Do you think its a moral issue? Do you think it has to do with the countries most marijuana is imported from, and our international relationships/embargos with those countries? Why?

And dont spit out any of that "its the man trying to keep us down" crap. I'm a police officer (assigned to a college campus) and also studying at a law enforcement school. We're not all asshole pigs; I toke up every day, and never arrest a fellow smoker. Shit I'm even high sometimes while I'm on patrol. Anyway, I can guarantee you theres no government conspiracy to stop us from having fun. I just cant figure out why the gov't still considers marijuana illegall.

I've studied alot about crime, and I enjoy studying stuff about victimless crime (drugs.) Most of the time it falls under a positivist crime theory, and sometimes under a "behavior of law" crime theory, wherein the crime is analyzed by asking why exactly it is illegall. Most of the authors and proffessors (all hardcore salty ex-cops, U.S. marshalls, etc.) tend to avoid talking about marijuana. When I bring it up, they go into this big thing about drugs (start talking about heroin, etc.) and how these crimes are "not victimless" because they affect society as a whole. I just dont buy it.

Any thoughts?

yeah thats something i've looked into. The crime rate in amsterdam is pretty low (would be lower if it werent for the huge amount of tourism). The crime rate is low, obviously, because there isn't the huge amount of crime involved w/purchasing marijuana, because it's legal.

If it was legal here, of course it would be taxed, and there would likely be a bell-curve in usage (like there is in alot of instances where substances are legalized, like there was after prohibition even.) The usage would sharply increase, maybe for a period of several years, then slowly decrease back to the same level. It'd probably be heavily taxed, and the good 50-60 bud would be pretty expensive still. Anyway, i wish the bigwigs in the gov't would get it through their brains that the reason theres so much crime involved with MJ is because we can't buy it at 7-11. Blah.

But anyway, why do you think it's still illegal here?

A thought

I believe that it has to do with our (american) culture. Once drugs were legal, then at one point the government said, "that's illegal, it's harmful to you, ect.." and people bought into it. Then reserch was done to back up the positions established. The same thing can be seen with racism, in natzi germany they had scientist do "experiments" to prove how supiror the arian race was, and all it was just a load of crap. But people bought into it and those same studies are used by neo-natzi's today. Many people have a strong belife in science and statistics, even if they are inacurate.

So fastforward to today. People for several generations have been told about the dangers of weed. Many people belive it, I know I did even after I started smoking, I thought my dick would shrivle up and I'd die of cancer in a couple months, or turn into a coke fiend...but that didn't happen. In addition to that my personality has changed very little. All of that aside many people "know" how bad weed is because the've studied the "facts" and they see no reson why it should be legalized. Any other thoughts?

-zombiE- said:
yeah thats something i've looked into. The crime rate in amsterdam is pretty low (would be lower if it werent for the huge amount of tourism). The crime rate is low, obviously, because there isn't the huge amount of crime involved w/purchasing marijuana, because it's legal.

If it was legal here, of course it would be taxed, and there would likely be a bell-curve in usage (like there is in alot of instances where substances are legalized, like there was after prohibition even.) The usage would sharply increase, maybe for a period of several years, then slowly decrease back to the same level. It'd probably be heavily taxed, and the good 50-60 bud would be pretty expensive still. Anyway, i wish the bigwigs in the gov't would get it through their brains that the reason theres so much crime involved with MJ is because we can't buy it at 7-11. Blah.

But anyway, why do you think it's still illegal here?
It has to do with it being made illegal in the 50's under exaggerated and for the most part false claims, and a lot of propaganda. Its stayed illegal because it has gotten a negative connotation throughout the years. People honestly think marijuana is a horribe thing, thats what they have always been taught.

j842p said:
It has to do with it being made illegal in the 50's under exaggerated and for the most part false claims, and a lot of propaganda. Its stayed illegal because it has gotten a negative connotation throughout the years. People honestly think marijuana is a horribe thing, thats what they have always been taught.
Watch "Grass." It says that it was made illegal because of the competition with the cotton industry and it was looked down upon by rich white people in Texas and other Southern states, because the Mexicans smoked it after working to relieve stress. It was made illegal in the 10' or 20's. But yeah, starting in the 30's, they spit out massive propaganda against it that is completely outrageous (see: Reefer Madness).

man to start off, i strongly dislike cops. and be happy b/c i said cops instead of pigs there. lol. but anyways a cop that smokes pot, even though he is a cop, is a kool guy. welcome and i hope that you dont get stereotyped and such just b/c you want to make life easier for people.

I think it is illegal b/c if the govt gives in on it, many people will just want more. if they give in on pot, then someone will start pressing Yayo lagalization, then injectables, ans so on. it is governments way of showing that they are big and bad-ass and they wont be stopped.

Reason why it's still illegal. The government doesn't like to repeal its own decisions. They just try and justify it by making up all that bullshit propaganda.

ThaRanger21 said:
yo, if marijunaa were legalized and taxed and sold to adults the gov could afford a great education system or social security system etc... basically the extra revanue(sp) that it would bring in could make our country great. yet for some reason it's still illegal. the thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that it doesnt harm anybody, you dont see a pothead killing his dealer for that sack that he desperately needs to make it through the night. yet i have heard rumors that the gov is considering moving marijauna to the same level as heroine on their drug scale or whatev. and why would they do that? they say because younger kids are trying marijunana these days. who gives a fuck if younger kids try it, it doesnt fucking hurt anyone, and the other reason was because supposedly the thc levels have gone up since the 70's and that means that it will be bad for you for some reason. the way i see it, higher thc levels = you smoke less weed which means u do less damage to your lungs which would make higher a higher thc marijuana safer right.....? anyone this shit pisses me off, it should be legalized and taxed. PEACE

marijuana is already a schedule one drug dawg......

The thing is, cocaine, PCP, and Peyote are all schedule 2.......

ThaRanger21 said:
yo, if marijunaa were legalized and taxed and sold to adults the gov could afford a great education system or social security system etc... basically the extra revanue(sp) that it would bring in could make our country great. yet for some reason it's still illegal. the thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that it doesnt harm anybody, you dont see a pothead killing his dealer for that sack that he desperately needs to make it through the night. yet i have heard rumors that the gov is considering moving marijauna to the same level as heroine on their drug scale or whatev. and why would they do that? they say because younger kids are trying marijunana these days. who gives a fuck if younger kids try it, it doesnt fucking hurt anyone, and the other reason was because supposedly the thc levels have gone up since the 70's and that means that it will be bad for you for some reason. the way i see it, higher thc levels = you smoke less weed which means u do less damage to your lungs which would make higher a higher thc marijuana safer right.....? anyone this shit pisses me off, it should be legalized and taxed. PEACE
Actually, marijuana is bad for young kids, because it hinders growth in the brain.

r0achclip said:
Any kind of drug hinders growth, Aspirin does the same as marijuana.....
I really doubt that, and I know you like to pull shit out of your ass.

Rastoner said:
Did you know that its easier for a doctor to get opiates then it is for him to get weed.
That's not surprisng, because there are all kinds of opiates out there.

r0achclip said:
I forget which book I got that from......

I like to pull shit out of my ass?????
I was just kidding, but I would like to see where you got that from.

r0achclip said:
marijuana is already a schedule one drug dawg......

The thing is, cocaine, PCP, and Peyote are all schedule 2.......
No im pretty sure PCP and Peyote, and all hallucinogenics for that matter, are schedule 1. Cocaine is schedule 2 though... thats fucked up aint it?

Breathless said:
Actually, marijuana is bad for young kids, because it hinders growth in the brain.
Why don't you site this...?
And what exactly is young?
How old are you Breathless?
Cause guess what... if you are younger than 25, your brain is still developing, same as if you were 15.

j842p said:
No im pretty sure PCP and Peyote, and all hallucinogenics for that matter, are schedule 1. Cocaine is schedule 2 though... thats fucked up aint it?

I'm pretty sure PCP is Sched. 2, but Peyote is because of the Indian religion or some shit that uses it......

Back
Top Bottom