William S. Buroughs

Johnny

In 1957 Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg found William Buroughs -- writing madly, eating marijuana candy and boozing, and keeping to his fastidious daily routine. They were impressed by the obvious genius within his stray pages and confused piles and helped him assemble them into a manuscript. Published in 1959, it was called The Naked Lunch . It seethed with bizarre scenes, disturbing images (some of which gave Kerouac nightmares) as well as hilarious.

From: William Burroughs: A Sketch by John C. Kramer, M.D. Jan-Mar 1981 Journal of Psychoactive Drugs:

Late in July 1978 I spent an afternoon with William Burroughs at his summer apartment in Boulder, Colorado. We were to talk together and record our discussion on tape. It would be the starting point for a chapter of a book.(..)

We talked dope talk some more. O***m smoking and o***m dreams. Life in Morocco and how it was the old people, not the young ones, who smoked cannabis. And about majoun, marijuana candy. And I told him about khat in Arabia. And he told me about the lies that Anslinger spread. And we told each other about Hasan-i-Sabah and how the haschischins were not driven to murder because they were stoned. And he got back to his a**********e stories.

Back
Top Bottom