(+)-WIN 55,212-2, A Novel Cannabinoid Receptor Agonist, Exerts Antidystonic Effects

Jacob Bell

(+)-WIN 55,212-2, a novel cannabinoid receptor agonist, exerts antidystonic effects in mutant dystonic hamsters

Richter A, Löscher W.
Source

Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy, School of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, Germany.
Abstract

The effects of the novel high affinity cannabinoid receptor agonist (+)-WIN 55,212-2 ((R)-4,5-dihydro-2-methyl-4(4-morphoinylmethyl)-1-(1-naphthalen ylcarbonyl)-6H-pyrrolo[3,2,1-ij]quinolin-6-one) on severity of dystonia were investigated in mutant Syrian hamsters with primary generalized dystonia. Following injections of (+)-WIN 55,212-2 (1.0-5.0 mg/kg i.p.) a dose-dependent reduction of the severity of dystonia was observed. At antidystonic doses (2.5 and 5.0 mg/kg i.p.) (+)-WIN 55,212-2 caused a reduction of spontaneous motor activity and catalepsy. 1 mg/kg of (+)-WIN 55,212-2 exhibited neither antidystonic effects nor any side effects. However, the coadministration of 1.0 mg/kg (+)-WIN 55,212-2 with an ineffective dose of diazepam (0.1 mg/kg i.p.) exerted antidystonic effects in the absence of severe side effects. Although psychotropic effects of cannabinoids, such as (+)-WIN 55,212-2, limit the therapeutical utility of cannabinoids, the present data indicate that cannabinoids exert antidystonic effects and that low doses of cannabinoids may increase antidystonic efficacy of benzodiazepines.

Source: (+)-WIN 55,212-2, a novel cannabinoid receptor agonist, exerts antidystonic effects in mutant dystonic hamsters

Back
Top Bottom