High yield - reflux extraction method

Lab Rat

I'm reposting this guide since I changed the links of the videos and were unable to edit the original posts.

This method was born out of necessity since in my case this wasn't about 3 month cancer killing session but a permanent "for life" oil intake to mitigate some of the side effects of my illness.

If I had access to large quantities of product I would go with a less efficient and more simple quick wash method but as its quite illegal here I need to get the maximum amount of oil from my starting product.

Expected Extraction Yields
If you choose not to winterize you can get very high yields; my absolute best was 48% from 1 ounce (13.5 grams) but this was for a pothead friend of mine who planned to smoke it and rub some on his skin for his psoriasis so quality, flavor, wax or chlorophyll content was never a concern.

For oral intake I would definitely recommend purifying through winterization, even though you will take a hit on yield you can easily get 30% (8 grams/ounce).

[video]

Note on Decarboxylation

Although on the video, the decarboxylation done to the product is not as precise as decarbing the oil and I no longer do it that way. Even if your oven thermostat is accurate, there is no way to guarantee that the product is getting an even temperature throughout the product.

Yes it is better than not doing it at all and I still follow the decarbing graph but a veggie oil double boiler with an infrared thermometer is a much better method to verify that the proper temperature is being hit. Just make sure your oil is ready before starting because high heat before the oil is ready can create solids.

The decarboxylation method as described by Motoco is the preferred method.

How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Filtration and Evaporation

[video]

Note on Winterization:

Winterization is the process by which the oil is purified. I filter through coffee filters twice, once before winterizing and once after. Your alcohol/oil is stuck in the freezer for 48 hours and then refiltered. The cold will cause many of the solids to clump up and get stuck in your filter.

Then follow the evaporation process as shown in the videos; special care must be taken not to use very high heat to avoid the creation of solids or to unintentionally decarb your product.

Back
Top Bottom